can a fuel restriction cause a hot light?

uniquesound

Cadet
the title is pretty much the question! I was getting a warning chime at WOT and it would shut off when i slowed down but at the same time i was getting the fuel restriction warning tone i was getting a hot light that would shut off right after the tone did could these go hand in hand or could it be wired up wrong? (The later is very possible looking at the wiring!)

angus63

Captain
Re: can a fuel restriction cause a hot light?

Steady tone from warning horn could be overheat or fuel restriction. If the horn shut off immediately after slowing down, then I would lean towards fuel restriction. I am uncertain if the "hot light" illuminates when the fuel restriction horn sounds. If you use a remote fuel tank and fuel line and the problem goes away, you have a fuel restriction. If the horn sounds again, remove the engine cover and carefully touch the heads. If you can't keep your hand there for more than 1 second, you have an overheat.
Good luck and let us know....

ps Next time post year and model of motor

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

a fuel restriction can cause a lean cylinder which can cause an overtemp condition, which would illuminate your hot light.

angus63

Captain

Wouldn't a fuel restriction affect all cylinders equally since the sensor is before the fuel is distributed to the carbs?????

gyoung

Seaman Apprentice

If your engine has more than one carburator a fuel restriction could cause one of them to be low on fuel which would cause a lean fuel condition in the associated cylinder(s). If that cylinder is the one with the sensor your heat alarm could trigger. If not you will continue to run and destroy the cylinder.

Check it our before you damage something.