Can a fallen soldier be honoured enough?

rolmops

Vice Admiral
When a soldier is sent abroad he is not asked whether he agrees or not,nor does he ask himself.He does what he swore he would do.<br />All of us here have the luxury of discussing the politics of it and can get angry and upset at each other because of politics.<br />The soldier does not have that luxury.His is not to question why,his is but to do and die.(charge of the light brigade).<br />These young man do die very frequently these days and whether this war is right or wrong does not matter to them or their families.The loss does.<br />Can we honour them enough?Would it be right to have a government representative at the grave side to demonstrate that we all share in this loss?<br />I often have the feeling that we do not do enough as a nation to show that we do care and much more should be done to honour these man who gave their lives for what they believed in.Our freedom.

ob

Admiral
Re: Can a fallen soldier be honoured enough?

From my perspective I feel that many Americans do care and pay homage to the fallen soldier of today.I think they get a lot more public support than us Viet Nam era vets did.You just voiced your appreciation and I'll add mine.<br /><br />In answer to the question posed in the topic title,my answer is no.Let us never forget the price payed by the fallen soldier and his family.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What do you call the color guard and optional firing squad available to the funeral of any and every battle casualty??<br /><br />Where did you get the idea that the government.. . the people. . . are not represented??<br /><br />These anti-government trolls are getting tiresome.

Ralph 123

Captain

honoured = British English (UK, Canada)<br /><br />Honored = American English

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by JB:<br />These anti-government trolls are getting tiresome.
Amen to that JB.<br />And I am done with this one.

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

In response to the question in the thread title I have a one word answer.<br /><br />No.

SpinnerBait_Nut

One more little side note.<br />My step-dad who past away in October was a WW2 and Korean War vet.<br />When he died there was an Honor Guard there that gave the 21 gun salute and played taps.<br /><br />They could have thumbed their nose and said, "No way, it's been to long ago" but they didn't, so yea, they get their respect, at least what I have seen.

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

SBN,<br /><br />I use to be in the Honor gaurd and have buried many a soldier and I can tell you we respect every last one of them and always did our best to do a flawless job for the families. They deserve nothing less.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by boatingfool:<br />SBN,<br /><br />I use to be in the Honor gaurd and have buried many a soldier and I can tell you we respect every last one of them and always did our best to do a flawless job for the families. They deserve nothing less.
boatingfool, never said they didn't.<br />Just that they could have.

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

Your exactly right.<br /><br />I was enforcing your point not taking exception to it. ;)

glass from the past

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Isn't the question really more about the citizens of this country than the government? Myself, I think that the joe citizen, who never put his ***(sorry mods) on the line doesn't get it (yeah some do, so don't take offense) the folks I am talking about are the same ones that want to protest everything cause it don't suite their liking. They don't get the fact the very reason you have the right as an American to sit outside a courthouse and protest the war (Vietnam, Iraq, pick any one) is because there were young men and women who gave their very lives for our freedom. The best line is from A Few Good Men, Jack Nickolson says something to the effect of "How dare you sleep under the very blanket of freedom I provide and question the means in which I provide it" That is bottom line in my book. Veterans day to most is just a day off, so they can skip out of work, same with 4th of July, memorial day, etc. It's not the goverment, they make every effort to return a fallen soldier home. They buy them the best equipment, provide them with the finest training. It's the Joe Scmoe, that is wrapped up in him or herself that doesn't even understand what price was paid for this country and it's freedoms. Sorry guys son't mean to troll, this anti-govenment stuff hits me too. <br /><br />- Semper Fi

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I stay out of most of the political topics but I just wanted to add to this one.<br />How can you ever give enough thanks and honor to a fallen soldier? You can not. <br />As JB put it,"What do you call the color guard and optional firing squad available to the funeral of any and every battle casualty??" I call that the least that could be done.<br />There are many that supported that soldier but there are also the ones who sit back and cry and moan that he shouldn't be there fighting 'That' war, or shouldn't have had to go to that 'peacekeeping' mission. Sitting back complaining never got anyone their freedom...that soldier and every other one before and after him, alive and dead did.

gaugeguy

Captain

Doesn't much matter to the fallen soldier. It matters to the family and friends of the fallen soldiers. It matters to the little boy who is in the town square, running his finger over the plaque with the names of the town's war dead on it. Dreaming of one day fighting for his country. Most of all it matters to the men who fought alongside the fallen soldier. The veterans who gave so much, just not everything. The men who openly cry during Memorial Day and Veterans Day parades.<br /><br />You want to honor the fallen soldier, honor the men that fought with him. Thank a vet. Go down to your local VFW or American Legion, walk in and just say "thanks guys, what you did means a lot".<br />You got a bunch of old board games you are going to throw away, donate them to the local VA hospital or Veterans home. Whole lot of "forgotten heros" in those places.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Thank a vet. Go down to your local VFW or American Legion, walk in and just say "thanks guys, what you did means a lot".<br />
Thanks Gaugeguy, thats the kind we need to be giving. I have decided I don't exactly agree with the war, however....You will NEVER EVER hear me talk bad about the men and women that are serving. I will support the troops in any way I can.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Fallen soldiers can never be honored enough...

Carphunter

Commander

Well said guageguy.<br /><br />My wifes Grandfather recently passed away. He was a WWII veteran. Let me tell ya, the military fella's who were part of the color guard at his funeral were much younger than me. They didn't even know him, yet they were as moved as much as anyone I saw at that funeral. It touched me in a way I will never forget.<br /><br />I was one of the last people to leave the gravesite,....... and I shook each of those military fella's hands and thanked them. You could tell by their response how much my thanks meant to them, .........but in reality, I could never really thank them enough.<br /><br />No, these soldiers cannot be honored enough.<br /><br />I sure see a lot of good people trying though.