Can’t find right steering bushing for Volvo Penta steering fork/helmet

jeremyhale

Cadet
First things first. I have a Volvo Penta AQ290 SP-C ratio 1:89. Model number 872201.End of last summer I had one of my two steering fork bushings fall out of my steering fork/helmet. I still have the original one on the other side, but trying to find the exact one is difficult. I’ve ordered two bushings with no luck at all. The first steering bushing I got was WAYY too big and that part number was 853048. The second one I bought was a tad bit too small and that part number was 814640. I bought the correct Volvo Penta AQ 290 steering helmet and fork shoulder bolt(IDENTICAL to the one I still have intact on the other side of fork/helmet) I dropped a pic with this post of what the bushing looks like. I need the one on the right side. The one on the left is the 814640 bushing. Any information or sites I need to visit will be greatly appreciated. Thank youIMG_0032.png

Fun Times

Staff member
Where did you order 853048 from?
Was the package in new/unopened condition? with Volvo packaging? Maybe there was a mix up somewhere including the manufacturer packaging.

As you mentioned 853048 should be the correct number though there appears to a possible near equivalent VP part number which is 851262 though your model isn't specifically listed under that part number, maybe the helmet was already changed at some point and the other model numbers listed was used...Just guessing of course.

So the 2 following from the parts catalog should be the ones needed technically speaking,

But part number 851262 info for you to decide is here,

In which I found in one of the following when searching the thought to be correct number,

Take note that some appear to be coming from China in which would be aftermarket and I'm sure you know where that could lead too.

Depending on where you bought the first one, might want to try again with the right number and or if time is limited, get both... That mentioned, depending on your location, sometimes your best bet is to locate a long running old boat service shop with a junk pile in the back and see if the old timer tech can locate what you need walking in the door.

Are the 2 in the photo actually yours or an image search from online? Let's see a photo of all yours if not.

jeremyhale

Cadet
I ordered both bushings off eBay. The bushing I have and need has a 4 thread count(threads per inch TPI), compared to part number 853048 where that has an 8 thread count. Yes the 853048 bushing was ordered from china, but seems all the bushings with that part number has an 8 thread count. The other one I ordered(814640) had a 4 thread count as the one I needed, but just tad bit too small. I’ll post some pictures of the size of diameters and threads under this. Biggest one will be the 853048, middle one will be the 814640, and last one will be the size I need.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 5

jeremyhale

Cadet
Was the package in new/unopened condition? with Volvo packaging? Maybe there was a mix up somewhere including the manufacturer packaging.

As you mentioned 853048 should be the correct number though there appears to a possible near equivalent VP part number which is 851262 though your model isn't specifically listed under that part number, maybe the helmet was already changed at some point and the other model numbers listed was used...Just guessing of course.

So the 2 following from the parts catalog should be the ones needed technically speaking,

In which I found in one of the following when searching the thought to be correct number,

Take note that some appear to be coming from China in which would be aftermarket and I'm sure you know where that could lead too.

Depending on where you bought the first one, might want to try again with the right number and or if time is limited, get both... That mentioned, depending on your location, sometimes your best bet is to locate a long running old boat service shop with a junk pile in the back and see if the old timer tech can locate what you need walking in the door.

Are the 2 in the photo actually yours or an image search from online? Let's see a photo of all yours if

Are the 2 in the photo actually yours or an image search from online? Let's see a photo of all yours if not.
Yes sorry, the pictures I’m sending are the bushings I have personally.

jeremyhale

Cadet
The bushing I need connects the steering fork and helmet together followed by the shoulder bolt that goes through the bushing. I circled where it belongs in the steering fork/helmet. Believe I’m not finding a part number because it’s supposed to come as one whole assembly. That’s my guess, but if that were true I was able to buy the shoulder bolt I needed separate.

Attachments

• IMG_0048.jpeg
    IMG_0048.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 6

Fun Times

Staff member
Oh gotcha now on the lower side part, with the part numbers given they were showing as where item number 20 is in your diagram.

Being on my phone right now, I can’t really tell but is item number 33 what you’re looking for,

jeremyhale

Cadet
No number 33 would be plastic bushing that goes into the suspension H fork. Followed by a pin that keeps that in place.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
two sizes of bushings on the helmet. the big one for the steering pin, the smaller one for the yoke

many are NLA.

best to find a helmet and yoke cheap.

also, how did these "fall out" the threads keep it in, and the corrosion makes sure you will never get them out.

I had one of my two steering fork bushings fall out of my steering fork/helmet. I still have the original one on the other side,

1718132293016.png

Scott Danforth

Staff member
make sure you are looking at the early vs late or visa-versa as the bushings did change.

1718132737711.png

jeremyhale

Cadet
two sizes of bushings on the helmet. the big one for the steering pin, the smaller one for the yoke

many are NLA.

best to find a helmet and yoke cheap.

also, how did these "fall out" the threads keep it in, and the corrosion makes sure you will never get them out.

View attachment 399360
What website you find this on? It’s the 290 not the older ones. It fell out because the shoulder bolts didn’t have nuts on the end.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The Volvo Penta site posted a above.

There are two sizes on the 280/290 depending if it's early or late.

Even without the shoulder screws, those bushings are pretty much permanent. I couldn't remove mine on either the primary or spare and I tried with a rosebud torch when I blasted the drive to repaint

jeremyhale

Cadet
I was able to get my bushing out on the other side using a flat head screwdriver and hammer. Put the flat head screwdriver in the slot and tapped the hammer to loosen it. Idk seems like the bushings are discontinued. Can’t find any online. So guess I’ll buy a steering fork so I can get in the water! Thank you guys for your help and time!

jeremyhale

Cadet
The Volvo Penta site posted a above.

There are two sizes on the 280/290 depending if it's early or late.

Even without the shoulder screws, those bushings are pretty much permanent. I couldn't remove mine on either the primary or spare and I tried with a rosebud torch when I blasted the drive to repaint
Dumb question. How do I find out if I have the early or late 290 version?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
bushing is not listed (as in its obsolete)

1718208224543.png

Scott Danforth

Staff member
early bushing is the 814640 (which you discovered was smaller)

everything post DPA does not list the pivot bushings in the steering helmet/yoke. you may have to visit the dealer
1718208709990.png