Can’t even open a magazine!

f_inscreenname

Commander
The wife yells down into the basement. Honey you have to come see this!!! I run up the stairs to see her pointing at a AAA magazine. “Its a photo contest and look at the fifth place photo”. I look and what do I see? A picture I have taken many times and not to be conceded but mine are much better. For that matter the photo that won 5th would not even made into my vacation photo album. I liked the photo I shot many years ago so much that I have used it as my PC’s wallpaper for at least the last 4 years. I never claimed to be good at photography. I usually shot a roll and maybe like 3 or 4 pictures but I have some nice shots of different stuff. I think I may need to put a book together and send it to someone but who and why? What do you all do with your favorite shots?

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Can’t even open a magazine!

All right it took a hour to do but here you go. <br />This is the AAA's winner-http://www.aaaworld.com/articles/images/05photocontest5.jpg<br />Now this is mine, that is a 35mm picture scanned on a POS scanner and then the resolution was reduced to be able to post it to a free hosting site. Then they made it real big, its really a 3 1/2" X 5" picture. I also have many others of the same pond on clear and foggy days and I have one that is almost on the same spot and taken less the 30 days later (his Sept 2001). No excuses, I wish it just would have came out better. http://www.freepichosting.com/Albums/421564098.html

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This is his?<br />
05photocontest5.jpg
<br /><br />And this is your's?<br />
1.jpg

f_inscreenname

Commander

Ya that is mine and there's. I just wish you had the pictures side by side. Even though it doesn't look like it, mine is a 3X5 35mm picture. It shouldn't be that large a grainy. I also have the same picture they won with (taken less then 30 days later with more color in the foliage). I cant get my dam scanner to work or I would post it (keep leaving yellow lines through everything I scan).<br />By the way the picture is of Jordan Pond in Arcadia National Park next to Bar Harbor Maine. We vacation there about every year. <br />The first time I went there years ago the shot caught my attention because of its resemblance to certain parts of the female enmity. :D

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They are both nice pictures, the reality is that a competition is entirely subjective and dependent on the taste of the judges. There is no absolute best picture. I like them both,so did the judges.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

What do you all do with your favorite shots?
I hang my favorite shots in my living room. Have one wall covered working on the second. Just get some frames, some of those "collage" types, some fancy, some plain. Some with opennings that don't reveal the whole frame, but position the photo with the best features. Kind of "random" but coordinated if that makes any sense. If you have a series of similar shots, like maybe your pond shot from the same angle but at different times of day & seasons, group those together. <br /><br />When people come over they almost always spend a few minutes & ask some questions - gives us a chance to relive some favorite moments.<br /><br />I'd love to have a 35mm SLR digital but don't want to sink that kind of money into it, so I'll stick with the trusty old Canon AE-1.

f_inscreenname

Commander

jtexas<br />That is what I do now. Just kind of got me when I opened up the magazine and saw a picture I have within feet of me. New scanner is here now just waiting on HP to send me a missing CD with the install driver.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

You could get on HP website and download the scanner driver there. Much faster than waiting for the snail mail with the cd.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Very Beautiful Photos F'n!!!!!!!!

LubeDude

Admiral

I like photography, and do a lot of it myself, Your picture is truly worthy of an honor of sorts, would just depend on the contest you entered it in. I really like it. The picture that won, was concidered as a winner due to the contrast correctness, the true colors, the symetry, and the time of day allowing for the shadows and sun on the rocks in the forground. Yours is a nice photo also. If I would have been a judge in this contest and those two photos were both entered, I would have had to vote for the bighter photo due to your picture being slightly overexposed. (MHO). Im taking the graininess out of the equation like you said. A polarizing filter would have cleared things up some also.<br /><br />Sorry, anytime you ask for a comparison you might not hear what you want to hear. Dont get me wrong, I would be proud as H*ll if I would have taken that picture. (Yours), It is an AWESOME photo. We all think our pictures are better than anyone elses. Except the judges!!

LadyFish

Admiral

Those are truly awesome photographs. You are really talented and have a good eye. :)

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by f_inscreenname:<br /> What do you all do with your favorite shots?
I have a few printed out and hung up, all of my photography is digital, so they are all on CDs.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Thanks for the comment folks. <br />beezee28; Ya, I know but it is a 17 hour download (must be a lot of stuff I don't need on it) and I still would not have the CD. I will wait.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Cool Pics. I thought that looked like moose contry. I lived at Lisbon Falls for 3 years. Wisscasset and Boothbar Harbor was places that I like to visit. Maine has the best lobster.<br /><br />Thanks for sharing those pics guys.....SS