Camping Recipes

LadyFish

Admiral
What’s your favorite camping recipe? <br /><br />If you don’t camp then what's your favorite outdoor recipe?

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: Camping Recipes

Boy....that's a tough one as there are so many.<br /><br />1) make a foil pouch...fill it with chicken, rice, mushrooms, and whatever other goodies you want....put some cream of chicken or mushroom soup in (several large spoon full) and place on the grate above the fire for a while.....<br /><br />2) Jambalaya in a cast iron dutch oven<br /><br />3) of course Steaks are a favorite

gaugeguy

Captain

Dutch oven breakfast...eggs, bacon, potatoes, sausage, onions, peppers, muchrooms and cheese all scrambled together...who said real men don't eat Quiche??

LadyFish

Admiral

We used to do this with potatoes when we went camping.<br /><br />Slice russet baker in two lengthwise. Place a slice of onion, a couple slices of bell pepper, a half of a jalapeno pepper (depending on personal preference). Place other half on top and wrap two slices of bacon all the way around it, then wrap in foil. Before you close it up, pour a little beer in foil.<br /><br />We threw our right onto the coals of the fire or bbq pit for about an hour. Serve with sour cream.<br /><br />I always made extras, cut them up and they make excellent homefries in the morning.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Recipe for camping:<br /><br />1 part deep woods in secluded area.<br />1 part personal wet weather gear.<br />1 part dry sleeping area.<br />1 part emrgency rations.<br />2 parts fishing<br />4 parts sunshine.<br />12 parts deet.

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Doughboys<br />Mix up some bisquick and water until it is moldable but not sticking to you. Form it over the end of a branch the size of your thumb, andbrown it over the fire. When done it should spin off the branch easily. Pour in some honey or home made jelly. mmm mmm good

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I like opening a can of beefstew or clam chowder,put it on the fire for ten minutes,grab a hold of it with my pliers,pour it on my plate,eat and go back to fishing!

JRJ

Commander

Thanks for the link LF...I'll check it out.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Well, we camp alot. I like to personally eat lite while camping, because we are out in the sun all day boating, hiking, fishing and what not. So we mostly do things like dogs and burgers. I do use my own mix of onion and or garlic powder on the burgers though. That is if we don't have any barbq sauce left for them. We do smoores maybe once. That usually is more hastle than its worth. We do roast mellows though. I like to set mine on fire, then blow it out. It gives the mellows a crunchyness to them.<br /><br />I take plenty, and I do mean plenty, of drinking water with us. I have a small cooler/thermos thing that sits with us in canoes, that has some in it as well. I have holders on a fanny pack for bottled water. I stress the importance of staying hydrated. The brain works better. :D <br /><br />At any rate, we do at times make foil pouches when we have the time. Usually at least once during a camping trip. That consists of your basic stew ingredients. Everyone seasons theirs to their own taste.<br /><br />Mainly we have small snack things like granola bars and trail mix. Easy to carry in a pack or pocket.<br /><br />Sorry I don't have to much to write in the way of recipes. I don't take a frig worth of food with us. We have granola bars and your basic cerals for breakfast as well. Sometimes we cook bacon and eggs on the portable cast iron plate I have. It is a grill surface plate and is really good for cooking those types of things over an open fire. I also have a triangle post with a chain lift, that raises and lowers a grate over the fire. I use that for cooking the burgers and other things on. The dogs we have sticks for, and everyone cooks their own.

tylerin

Commander

Take your sock off your stinky foot, add approx 10 heaping spoonfulls of coffee into the sock, and tie a knot at the top. Place into a pan of boiling water. Right there you've got yourself some Cowboy coffee you can sink your teeth into. ;)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Sometimes after a tough day of wapiti hunting in the northern rockies I like to cook a pot of chili and beans. Starts by cooking a pound of spicy Italian sausage...add three cans of beans, kidney, pinto, and black. Add some heat...jalapenas, salsa, tobasco and spices to taste...always a hit...never turns out quite as good at home tho... :)

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Nothing cooked at home is as good as the open pit. The grill comes close though. :D

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

One whole salmon fillet, aluminum foil, salt, pepper and butter. Put on the coals and resist the urge to check "if it is done". Usually takes about 20 minutes, depending on type of fillet. King Salmon take longer and Red Salmon take less time. Nothing tastes better than fresh food.<br /><br />AK Chappy<br /><br />(edit) I forgot to say leave the skin on, prevents burning.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Chief 101:<br />Starts by cooking a pound of spicy Italian sausage...add three cans of beans, kidney, pinto, and black. Add some heat...jalapenas, salsa, tobasco and spices to taste
And when Wapiti hunting, the gastric noises from your body from this chili will exactly duplicate a bull elks bugle :D

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Ok,<br />Now for breakfast.<br />Dutch oven style.<br />Layer of bacon and onions, layer of cubed potatoes (previously boiled), enough eggs to cover the top of the taters, cook until the eggs are starting to harden, layer of cheese. When cheese is melted, serve.<br />hmmmmmmmmmmm<br />Yummmy,<br />Shucks, now I am drooling...... :D <br /><br />AK Chappy