Cam swap for gm universal 350?

knotperfect

Seaman
If I swap my old (dead) 1977 305 for a GM Universal 350 - new crate engine. Part number 10067353, do I need to swap the cam of the new engine with one for marine applications? Cam Specs for the universal are as follows.. 0.390in. / 0.410in. lift, Hydraulic Camshaft, 195 / 202 Duration @ 0.050in. Lift. I am seeing these engines for just shy of $1,500, no core required and it looks like a good option. Or, rapid-o $1,550 delivered. Btw, I will be pushing a 1977 Welcraft Suncruiser 2000. Thanks for the advise.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Cam swap for gm universal 350?

do I need to swap the cam of the new engine with one for marine applications?

Naw,... It'll run just Fine...

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

If you get a crate engine made for an automobile you will probably have to replace the core plugs. Just get an engine from Rapido. The price is great and it is made for marine applications out of the box.

Plus this is taken right out of the description of the engine you provided the link for:

The HP 290 horsepower will provide great durability because of its 4-bolt mains, PM steel rods, strong cast aluminum pistons.
The camshaft has .450" intake and .460" exhaust lift with hydraulic flat tappets.
The cast iron cylinder heads have 1.94" intake and 1.50" exhaust valves wit 76 cc combustion chamber. These heads have the conventional 90 degree with 12 bolt intake manifold attaching design used from 1955 thru late 1980 12 bolt postion @ 90? to the intake/headflange.
This engine was designed to work with the following components:
intake manifold 10185063.
HEI distributor 93440806.
balancer 12551537.
flex plate 471529.
Bolt on the starter,water pump, fuel pump, and your ready to run.

This 350 engine is not intended for marine use, and should be used in 1979 and earlier pre-emissions street vehicles or any off road usage. 350/290 HP Technical Information

DarkPaladin

Cadet

I can pick up a crate engine from GM dealer in town here without shipping. Or get something form a possible questionable source according to what I have been reading. And have it shipped to Alaska? Shipping will kill me. Hence the actual question of using a crate motor from GM. I'm just wondering if there is a real bad issue. My setup a closed cooling system. Not sure if this one is much different from the first one except HP ratings.

Bondo

Staff member

I can pick up a crate engine from GM dealer in town here without shipping. Or get something form a possible questionable source according to what I have been reading. And have it shipped to Alaska? Shipping will kill me. Hence the actual question of using a crate motor from GM. I'm just wondering if there is a real bad issue. My setup a closed cooling system. Not sure if this one is much different from the first one except HP ratings.

Ayuh,... You're Hi-jacking Knotperfects thread, when you should be starting yer own....

I'd use that motor, after I swapped in brass coreplugs...