Calling Nate in AR

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Nate-<br /> Just wondering what happened with your idea to home school your daughter. What did you decide?<br /> Meeting one of my students today(I teach Independent Study) we got on the subject of her being home schooled all her life until her 11th grade year. She's a senior now graduating in June. I asked her if she felt prepared when she got to 11th grade at the high school. She wasn't. Her social skills were awful. She said she would walk into a room of kids and shake. Poor girl. <br /> Her Mom home schooled her. There are alot of lapses in her education, like for example she got no instruction on US Constitution. That's 8th grade curriculum. Math she's low on because Mom wasn't strong in Math. (That's unexceptable!).<br /> So, I thought of your post when I heard this nice, bright girl talk about her experience today.<br /> I'd like to hear what you decided and what brought you to that decision.<br />Bassy :)

Carphunter

Commander
Re: Calling Nate in AR

Nate found out his daughter is much smarter than he is, so he scrapped the idea. :D

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Carphunter:<br /> Nate found out his daughter is much smarter than he is, so he scrapped the idea. :D
Maybe she is home-schooling Nate ;)

tylerin

Commander

Who's Nate kidding? They don't have schools in Arkansas. :p

NathanY

Commander

Well after the baby was born, my wife decided to quit her job and stay at home with the kids(both of which are much smarter than Craphunter)and be a full time mom. I told her that since I make decent money, this would be a very good opportunity for her to go back to college. So she did. Full time, studying nursing science. I will probably put my daughter in public school for a few years, until my wife finishes school. After the wife gets a job, then we will be able to afford a good Christian private school. Right now, with me working 10-14 hrs a day and my wife going to school full time, there just hasnt been any time. <br /><br />Ty you just jealous of our schools because English is our first language here.

tylerin

Commander

quote from Nate: Ty you just jealous of our schools because English is our first language here.<br />
Peenchey Bendejo :D

ehenry

Commander

I'm not a big fan of home schooling for the very reasons Bassy mentioned. The main one is the childs social development is hampered. They dont learn how to interact with other children their own age.<br /><br />We had a couple move in next door to us that home schooled their two children, a boy and girl. The mother decided it was time she went back to work and they decided to put their kids in the private school where my son goes to school. The little girl didnt have any problem but the boy had bad problems fitting in. He was 13 or 14 at the time and he stayed in fights, he just couldnt socialize and interact with the othe boys at the school. In the spring and summer the poor boy couldnt even fit in enough to play little league ball. It was pittifull and I felt so sorry for him.<br /><br />I watched this first hand and it made my mind up about home schooling.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Have any of you watched the National Spelling Bee on ESPN? Most of the winners, and top competitors are home schooled. That being said, watch their actions on the stage..seems to me that they are sheltered. But again, I ain't no expert. But I think that an education needs to be more than a school marm. We are fortunate in our community to have good schools and teachers in both the city and county, and I am aware that this is not the case in all parts of this country. I think that parental involvement, along with a compentent faculty, will allow a child the best chances to suceed. With this opportunity, the child makes the utlimate decision to suceed or fail. <br /><br />Forgive any misspellings as I am on my 12th staight night of 12 hrs shifts.