Calling Ladyfish

aspeck

Staff member
I know you work for a "Sight" organization, and I have a question for you. Here in Ghana we have a lot of problems with Cataracts. Seems like there is so very many. I knew there had to be a reason, but the other day I read where the sun's radiation has a lot to do with it. That makes sense - we are on the equator, lots of sun, etc.<br /><br />Article also mentioned that greens - like Kale, collard greens, etc. - contained antioxidents that would help to block the sun's radiation in the eyes.<br /><br />Any validity to this? If so, I need to do some research to see if we can grow those things here, then introduce them to the farming community. Would have more of an effect than the screenings and surgeries we keep sponsoring (doing a screening again today).<br /><br />Thanks for any info you can give me. If you want you can either do it here, or email me - speck at pennswoods . net

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Calling Ladyfish

Ladyfish, a new twist - talking with one of the eye clinic doctors, he was not too excited about the prospects of this. His reason, in Africa there is not the technogoly to do cataract surgery until the cataract is completely matured. If it takes too long to mature the patient will get upset with the doctor and go to a traditional healer who will fix the problem by putting a pin in the eye and moving the lens. Vision will be restored partly, for a short time before total blindness sets in (Doctor's Words). Therefore, he would rather has something that would make a cataract come to maturity faster.<br /><br />Interesting reasoning?

LadyFish

Admiral

While aging accounts for most cataracts, there are also other causes. Certain diseases, such as uveitis (inflammation inside the eye), can lead to cataracts. Exposure to radiation such as ultraviolet (like that from the sun) and infrared rays can also lead to cataracts. Poor nutrition may cause cataracts to develop earlier and progress faster, as often happens in underdeveloped countries. A cataract can also be caused from injury to the eye and by certain prescription drugs, such as steroids.<br /><br />On rare occassions, children are born with cataracts. They require immediate treatment to prevent permanent loss of vision. Unlike the United States, some foriegn hospitals do not require baby eye drops at birth. <br /><br />In 1908 two opthalmalogists discovered that babies being born from mothers with venereal disease had cataracts. Thats when they developed and put into effect the use of baby eye drops at birth. I found a 3 year old with a cataract a fews years ago who was born in Africa.<br /><br />There are generally thre types of cataracts:<br /><br /> * A nuclear cataract is most commonly seen as it forms. This cataract forms in the nucleus, the center of the lens, and is due to natural aging changes.<br /> <br /> * A cortical cataract, which forms in the lens cortex, gradually extends its spokes from the outside of the lens to the center. Many diabetics develop cortical cataracts.<br /> <br /> * A subcapsular cataract begins at the back of the lens. People with diabetes, high farsightedness, retinitis pigmentosa or those taking high doses of steroids may develop a subcapsular cataract.<br /><br />A cataract starts out small, and at first has little effect on your vision. You may notice that your vision is blurred a little, like looking through a cloudy piece of glass or viewing an impressionist painting. A cataract may make light from the sun or a lamp seem too bright or glaring. Or you may notice when you drive at night that the oncoming headlights cause more glare than before. Colors may not appear as bright as they once did.<br />Blurred or hazy vision may indicate a cataract.<br /><br />Cataracts are a leading cause of blindness. Once a cataract develops, it will continue to grow. Most cataracts grow slowly over a period of years, though some develop more rapidly. As a cataract "matures," the initial change is a yellowing in the lens, which becomes cloudy - somewhat like eggwhites turn "cloudy" when subjected to heat in a frying pan.<br /><br />There is one stage in the development of some cataracts when "close" vision actually improves while "distance" vision worsens. This condition is known as "second sight," when some people can read without their glasses. However, the cataract will continue to progress so that "close" vision becomes blurred.<br /><br />With recent advances in techniques for cataract removal, it has become advantageous to perform surgery earlier, thus avoiding complications associated with lens-induced uveitis and secondary glaucoma. Now surgery is more often performed unilaterally without waiting for both lenses to become completely opaque.<br /><br />Researchers also believe good nutrition can help reduce the risk of age-related cataract. They recommend eating green leafy vegetables, fruit, and other foods with antioxidants. But good ole sunglasses expecially for those who spend time on or near the water is very important. Sunglasses need to filter out UVA and UVB rays. While most sunglasses provide comfort in the sun by blocking visible light rays, nearly half don’t provide adequate ultraviolet or blue light (which is higher in frequency than ultraviolet light) protection.<br /><br />Not sure if any of this helps and my knowledge is limited at best Aspeck. If I haven't answered your question let me know. If I don't know the answer, I will find it for you. I have medical advisors at my disposal.<br /><br />The pin idea is a new one to me. I can't believe that this could be a solution to a blinding disease.

aspeck

Staff member

Thanks, and I need to think about this and digest it to see if there is some way we can help lessen the problem here.<br /><br />Yea, the pin idea is not a good one, the doc said it only helped a little for a brief time.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Aspec,<br />My Dad (81 yo) and ex NZ Navy WW2 has just recently had a cataract operation.<br />There is a strong link to UV exposure and there is a person in Brisbane, Australia who has presented a large paper on this subject in recent times. I can get further info from my Dad if you wish.<br />drop me an email if you wish to:<br />peter at eaglespares dot co dot nz<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Peter