Calling all Volvo experts

Joecol

Cadet
Looking for short block or used Volvo Penta 4 cyl.. gas engine. Have a crack in the block of my AQ 131 SOHC engine. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br /> Thanks Joseph

G DANE

Commander
Re: Calling all Volvo experts

You can use any car B21, just replace the freezeout plugs to staniless. Be aware that the crankshaft and rods are reinforced on marinetypes and never use car headgaskets.<br /><br />Marineversion has different cylinderhead ( bigger inlet valves ) and camshaft too ( D or F type ) You can email mee if you need more info. salg@romantiskbad.dk

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Joseph, Is the crack internal, or external? Is it a straight line crack that doesn't go around a curved surface. Reason I ask is that straight line external cracks can be repaired using what is called lacing the block. I does not call for any welding or brazing and is just about as strong as original. I had a small chevy mercrusier that had cracked and I saved it by this method. All you need is a drill, grinder, bit, tap, and some pipe plugs which I used 3/8 size black Iron plugs. First you drill a hole at the end of the crack, tap it out, insert the pipe tap with pipe dope applied to the plug. Next you drill your next hole overlapping into the plug you just installed by at least 1/3. Then you tap out that hole and install another plug the someway. Repeat this procedure until you get to the end of the crack and I would go at least one more plug past the end of the crack. Then you grind down the heads of the plugs to be flush with the surface of the block. Be sure to remove the freeze-out plugs to flush out any metal shavings left from drilling and tapping. Replace the freez-out plugs and paint the area to prevent further corrosion.<br />But remember this is only if the crack is located in the water jacket. If the crack is internal and goes into your oil jackets, you will need another block.<br />The repair that I made to mine cost me about $15 dollars in pipe plugs. The repair didn't leak a single drip. I used this engine for 5 years with no trouble. I sold the boat to a friend and to the best of my knowledge it is still in good shape. I presonnaly like this procedure since I did't have to tear down the engine. As a matter of fact, I didn't even remove it from the boat. Good Luck, I hope maybe this will help you.

Joecol

Cadet

Thanks for the info guys,the crack is way to big to try and repair,but that sounds like a good repair to keep on file!!<br /> As for the automobile engine ,I will start looking right now!!!