Calling all old Paint & Body guys! LubeDude?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Oh, btw...did not intend to exclude current tradesmen.<br /><br />The time has come to use a wheel on the , oh, not too bad home brew paint job, for my son's resurrected Pontiac Sunbird. As ya'll may recall, we did a base coat/ clear coat metallic paint job in our garage after we did the frontend collision repair.<br /><br />I've never done a polish job before and always kind of been afraid of burning the paint. I bought a 600 to 3000 rpm Chinee polisher and was hoping that someone could impart some technique before I launch out. At this point I have not even selected a suitable compound.<br /><br />As ususal, all input is welcomed. Will post finished pictures once I have attained a few more lumens of shine.<br /><br />ps, someday I will learn to post in the proper forum.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Calling all old Paint & Body guys! LubeDude?

Originally posted by Boomyal.<br />ps, someday I will learn to post in the proper forum.
:D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by achris:<br />
Originally posted by Boomyal.<br />ps, someday I will learn to post in the proper forum.
:D
Hey Chris, Bon Voyage Manana.(mexican for tomorrow) I just finished a book called Ship of Gold and the Deep Blue Sea.<br /><br />A book about the sinking and recovery of the SS Central America, off the Carolina coast, in 1857.<br /><br />It was bringing over 21 tons of California gold from Panama to New York when it went down, in a typhoon, losing over 400 lives.<br /><br />The sinking and subsequent recovery, in 8000 ft of water, was a gripping tale. Lots of underwater device driving was taking place during the recovery in the late 80's/early 90's.<br /><br />Anyway, it made me think of you. Maybe you should find a treasure recovery to use your skills in?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Man that's deep water! Deepest I've have one of my machines is 4,000ft. It's dark down there!<br /><br />
Maybe you should find a treasure recovery to use your skills in
:D :D :D :D :D <br /><br />Thanks Boomyal. I'll miss you guys while I'm away. <br /><br />Chris

LubeDude

Admiral

When unsure of yourself, runa strip of 1/2" masking tape along all the sharp edges, this will keep you from rubbing through the thin areas and not sanding them either. Remember to use nothing coarser than 1,500 and 2,000 grit prefered. Go lightly, you really do not need it to be absolutly flat on this car, just most of the orange peel and the chunks. Dont use just your fingers, use a soft foam pad, and dont sand right up to the moldings, you are polishing, not painting again. If you sand too close to the edges, you will not be able to polish that close.<br /><br />Use a meadium cut compound and wool pad for the first cutting, then follow up with 3m Finesit on a foam pad for the final shine. Easy does it.