Calling all diesel fans.

oregonducker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently bought a new, to me, '97 Ford F350 with the 7.3 complete with 165k miles. I did a lot of looking before I chose this one. Wasn't specifically looking for a diesel but this one was begging for me to buy it. Anyway, within a week of buying it I stuck my camper on it and my boat behind it and drove it to Alaska. Spent all summer there fishing and camping (my boss thinks I was working) and then drove it all back here to Idaho. No problems. Seems I found a decent used rig. <br />This is my first diesel so I'm seeking info/advise on the care and feeding of this beast. I am not however, accepting comments about my sanity for buying a diesel with the fuel prices being what they currently are. Anyway, what do the long time diesel owners here recommend in the way of taking care of this monster.<br />Brand of oil? Currently I'm using Chevron Delo 400 and replacing it every 3000 miles along with a NAPA filter. <br />What else is vital to the upkeep of a deisel?<br />I hear a lot about Super Chips. Any real value to them? I wouldn't mind improving efficiency. Can they help? If so, any recommendations?<br />Anything else?<br />Thanks, Dave.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Calling all diesel fans.

There are various plug n' play boxes you can plug in to gain power. Bullydog is one manufacturer that comes to mind. A lot of them come with selections for different power levels. There is also propane injection, but we won't go there. Delo is good stuff, we use it in the diesel rigs in our fleet. The only thing I can say is keep your air filter clean, keep your fluids clean, stay on top of leaks, prety much the usual.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I've had three Mercedes Benz Diesel cars (since the engine is named after its inventor, Rudolph Diesel, it is correct to capitalize) and two Kubota Diesel tractors.<br /><br />Yes, I am a Diesel fan.<br /><br />Only one tip: NEVER go over the recommended period for oil and filter change.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I have a great deal of experience with the Powerstrokes (even in my sig).<br /><br />Delo 400 is good and the other major brand is Shell Rotella T 15w40. I've always ran Rotella.<br /><br />I prefer the mobil 1 filters personally. Keep your fuel filter clean (buy wix). Also, check your sca levels in the radiator. There are test strips available. You have to keep the sca's in check (enough of them) to prevent cavitation. I usually check mine every oil change. super easy...add sca's if I need to (you just pour it in the radiator)<br /><br />Make sure your air filter assembly is tight so you don't "dust" your engine.<br /><br />I have a flip chip in mine where I can change the HP settings. You won't really gain much better fuel mileage (although there are a ton of people who claim it will - BS). What you get is a truck that's easier to drive and much better at pulling. However, having said that I would not chip a powerstroke w/out gauges (EGT's, Turbo boost and if automatic - trans temp). These trucks when chipped (even when not chipped) can create enough heat to fry a turbo. You want to keep EGT's under 1300, preferably 1250 (pre turbo).<br /><br />Stay away from propane injection....too much trouble and easy to fry a motor. yes, you can get better economy but at what cost.<br /><br />If you insist on chipping, I don't care for the tuners as they are generic. You can get a custom chip for what you're using your truck for - shift points, etc.<br /><br />I have an economy setting (50hp) towing (75hp) and whoa crap (125) and high idle settings on mine. I also modified my turbo, 4" exhaust, guages and some other goodies.<br /><br />here's a real good diesel site to visit<br /><br /> http://www.thedieselstop.com <br /><br />everything and anything you ever wanted to know about the powerstrokes is there!<br /><br />enjoy....these are great trucks<br /><br />here are some pics of my truck (some have the guages in them)<br /><br /> http://www.keltonkrew.com/psd.htm

NOSLEEP

Commander

I drive only Diesels. I helped hundreds of people<br />purchase diesel F-250, 350, 450, 550's.<br />Use synthetic & change the oil as often as you like<br />Many of my clients change oil every 20,000km <br />and have reliable service from there trucks to<br />over 1 million kms.(synthetic)<br />I usually change trucks before I can confidently<br />use synthetic oil.<br />Many of my clients leave their trucks running<br />night and day when they are in service in the<br />far north.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have worked with diesels my entire 27 year career. All Caterpillar's but most of the important technology is the same. Interesting note to JB's comment about capitalization; Rudy's name is not capitalized and is one of the few words in the English language derived from a name that isn’t. This is a compliment if you think about it: his invention is so widespread that the cycle, engine and fuel all share his name and again is properly used in lower case. Pretty amazing.<br /><br />KK's correct about something that is very important to understand. It is VERY hard to increase a diesel’s fuel efficiency. The best way is to advance timing, but that is a major emissions no-no and carries a $10,000 fine. The diesel engine is basically just as efficient from the bottom to the top of the operating and power ranges because it has no throttle, the only real difference is that you are spinning stuff faster and slower i.e. water pump, oil pump, alternator, fan etc. etc. So if you bump up the power of a diesel (and don’t melt it down) you usually only benefit if you gain a gear in a given situation i.e. lower RPM for same road speed with the same load. So let’s say you had a 550 bhp CAT C15 and a 475 bhp of the same model. You might get slightly better efficiency with the 550 if you could run in 10th gear instead of 9th in some situations. However, if you used the extra power to accelerate faster or run at a higher top speed, then your efficiency will suffer.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Keep the oil changed, use a good filter. Keep the air filter clean.<br /><br />Delo and Rotella are both good oils. Since your injectors are hydraulically powered by oil pressure, don't let the oil get low.<br /><br />If you buy fuel in out of the way places, learn how to bleed the water off the fuel filter.<br /><br />KK is absolutely right on about the radiator additive.<br /><br />Keep in mind that after a heavy pull, don't shut the engine down immediately, let it idle for about 10 minutes. Keeps the turbo from cooking itself.<br /><br />Diesels run better warm, let it idle for a few minutes before you take off on a cold morning.<br /><br />I didn't do the chip trick. I added a Gear Vendors auxilliary transmission. Wife wouldn't let me get the six speed. The GV gives me gear range. Especially nice to have something between 3rd and OD, on a windy day and slight grade towing 16k.<br /><br />Really informative forum: http://www.thedieselstop.com/ <br /><br />It's really sad that the price of diesel is higher than regular unleaded.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Well apart from boats and trains (long story won't bore you!) the only diesels I have and still do run are in our cars (trucks are only just becoming popular in the UK now). <br />Been driving cars with the VW turbo diesel engines in them now for around ten years and love them to bits.<br />Just a couple of things to back up what everyone has said so far: use synthetic oil and change that air filter often. The diesel engine is an air pump and it responds nicer to clean, cold air and lots of it.<br />Again, you might want to ignore this bit because its about cars rather than trucks, but we have chipped our engines with a bog-standard, off-the-shelf powerbox. Lovely bit of kit and it does make a huge difference to the power and you can tweak the settings a bit yourself but like has been said: it does affect the economy but if you drive normally after fitting the chip you can increase the economy but it's marginal. Where we really notice the difference with the chip is in the torque and when we are towing the boats.<br />Just my tuppence worth :D

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Diesel parts are expensive. If you don't have a thick wallet, experimenting with performance in a diesel will thin your wallet down quickly. Especially when parts start breaking.<br /><br />I gave up on wanting more out of mine. I'm just keeping the maintnenace up on it so it will last.

oregonducker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the response. <br />What are the sca's in the radiator and when adding them, is it just a "read the label on the can" process?<br /><br />Sounds like something I should already know about but I'm just an as needed driveway mechanic and something like this is exactly what I was hoping to get from this post.<br /><br />Sounds like the chips are more of a power thing than an economy thing. This truck has more power than I currently need anyway so I'll put the chip idea on the back burner for now.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

sca's are nothing more than an additive you pour into the radiator. you can buy them at the ford dealer or carquest..<br /><br />you have a test strip that you dip into the radiator (about every oil change) pull it out, wait 45 seconds and compare the colors on the strip to the colors on the chart. the strips are about a $1/each.....the sca is in a bottle of 16oz or so. depending on where the colors are, you just pour the additive into the radiator. I've never had to put more than 8oz or so. It's not an exact thing. You don't want too much, but you don't want too little either. it's nothing major....just prevents cavitation (air bubbles pitting the cylinder walls that will eventually eat into the water jacket). The sca's are nothing more than a sacrificial item to prevent that. Really cheap process. Some oil changes I never have to add any additive.<br /><br />chips are for power, not economy.....no matter what some guys will tell you..If I believed them, there would be thousands of 35mpg 1 ton trucks out there....just not happening...everyone wants to brag they have the best mileage diesel....so the lies go up and up.<br /><br />chips are for power not economy. I get about 17-18 mpg on the highway if I keep it under 2k on the tack (little under 70mph)55mph is optimum but who can drive that! I get about 15mpg in the city. to me that's not bad for a 1 ton 4x4 truck with oversize tires...there are guys claiming 25+ mpg with the same setup...they are full of it!<br /><br />I don't use synthetic in my motor. I use rotella and change it every 3k....that's plenty good for these motors....synthetic IMO is overkill. yes you can do extended drain intervals, but then you get into having to have oil analysis done by places such as blackstone, etc.<br /><br />I do run synthetics in the tranny and front/rear diffs though.....I think that's a good application for towing to reduce tranny temp and the synthetic handles the heat that is generated better.<br /><br />I now have about 140K on this powerstroke in 6 years. My other ford diesel had 158k on the clock when I got rid of it....this one I'm keeping for at least 10 more years.

oregonducker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hmmm. 2000 rpm at 70 mph huh? I take it you have the 3:55 rear end which means mine must be the 4:10. I'm around 2300 at 70 mph.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I have the 3.73.<br /><br />at 70mph I'm at about 2100....that's why I have to keep it under 70.....<br /><br />that's why I mentioned to keep it under 2k which is slightly under 2k.....<br /><br />if you have a single rear wheel truck, most likely you have the 3.73 rear.

D

DJ

As important to diesels as engine oil is CLEAN AIR.<br /><br />Stay away from the aftermarket air filters and change with Motorcrtaft as often as possible. Watch the filterminder and the air tube connections very carefully.<br /><br />"Chip it" and it will die an early death.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB: <br />Yes named after Rudolph Diesel, but perfected by an American named Cummings some two decades after Diesel’s mysteries death. Diesel called his engine a "heat engine " also "oil engine"<br />I have read that Diesel’s engine would only produce about 1 hp for every 1,000 lbs of weight. It was not very efficient.<br /><br />Cummins engine would produce about 1 hp per 4 pounds of weight. About the same as today.<br /><br />Clessie Lyle Cummins mounted a diesel engine in a used Packard limousine and on Christmas day in 1929 took W.G. Irwin for a ride in America's first diesel-powered automobile