call me an idiot

dennis1

Cadet
alright, call me an idiot, its cool.THis is my first boat and I need some help.I replaced my impeller on a 94 merc black max 150, and i am still not getting any pee through the top port, instead exhaust is coming out of it.I am this far from fixing it with my framing hammer. It seems like a common and miner problem if I only had a place to start.Easy ? for one of yall pros to answer and be the hero.dont be afraid.

dennis1

Cadet
Re: call me an idiot

could someone just give me a detailed description of the cooling system and i will bother you no more

I really wish I could be more helpful, but you must realize you are in the computer age. An industry built on sharing of information. When some people realized that their ego was getting in the way of profits it started getting propietery and brought us to place we are. Information is the most costly product on the market. As to use of a hammer, sometimes this works but in most cases only increases profit for someone else. ;)

dennis1

Cadet

thats crap, my man.im just trying to fix the same problem that someone once helped you with. can i get a bone

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does the engine overheat, is there water circulating, do you have water presure. It could be that just the pee hole is clogged. Try to clean it with a wire strand or something similar. Before you replaced the impeller, was there water coming from the pee hole? Did you forget the key or cam on the driveshaft for the impeller? check those & let us know. Good luck, Joe

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Okay, you're an idiot. But seriously, check the pee hole and its hose, like perfidiajoe suggests. Mud dawbers like to build nests in them and they can get plugged with all kinds of crap, including bits of old impeller. When I replace my Merc impeller I turn the prop/drive shaft and check for impeller rotation before putting the top back on the pump. It's easy for the little key to slip out. Don't discouraged, it takes 3-4 runs at lower unit service until you get it down pat. After that its a breeze. Oh yeah, a service manual for your outboard is a real good investment if you plan on keeping it for any length of time. Good luck and don't give up. The answer will present itself eventually.

clove

Seaman

I have a '89 135 Black Max and just replaced my water pump. Did you add the bead of sealant to the lower(on the rdige behind the water pump)unit before you installed it? If you did not install the sealant, this would cause all sorts of issues. Also, are you sure you installed all gaskets and seals correctly? There is an important foam/rubber seal that sits on top of the water pump housing that keeps exhaust gases from backing up in the system. This, along with not applying sealant might cause your problems.

dennis1

Cadet

overheat alarm goes off after about 8 minutes.before i replaced the impeller it was doing the same thing. The old impeller was pretty curled up.the pee hole is not clogged. I placed the key in the impeller correctly.can someone give me a few scenarios so i have a place to start. thanks guys

dennis1

Cadet

to clove yes i did put some rtv on the ridge between the water pump and the prop but only because some body had mentioned that to me.Tomorrow, if my kids give me time, im going to start it over again. Im sure its something stupid that i did but iguess its a learning experience

dennis1

Cadet

alright guya i appreciate the help.I have fixedit thank god without more problems.I had put the 2 gaskets sandwiching the plate in the wrong order.and after 4 boat stores i finally found a single gasket at carquest of all places.I also replaced my thermostats which were completly coverd in salt and sand.At least now iam a pro at dropping the lower unit.ONe ? though the seam between the upper and lower unit leaking quite a bit of water, even though everything is bolted tight.what can i put in the seam? RTV?