By-Pass valve on 70hp 1973 Chrysler

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well as if I did not need another thing to deal with, low and behold I decide to check the valve to make sure it was ok and found out it was not. Took the cover off, pulled, and pulled the cover with spring attached, finally got the spring out, albeit it is stretched now. Where it is located it is hard to see, but when you put a mirror down there you can see the valve stuck in there, I assume that is. It seems soft, like plastic when stuck with a small screwdriver.

My question is, how do I get it out? Where it is located I cannot really get anything in there to pry it out. I was thinking of drilling a small hole in the cowling to stick a screwdriver through and work it out, but is there something else that will work? Has anyone had this problem before?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: By-Pass valve on 70hp 1973 Chrysler

It probably got stuck the first time it ran thru the sand.It isin't absolutley necessary to have it function.
If you take apart any Force/Chrysler you will find it clogged.
It's plastic.If you really want to remove it then get a big screw and screw it into the plastic.Then try to pull it out.You WILL destroy it.
But see if you can get a replacement first.J

shytownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

theyre tuff to get out,had the same problem as jerry said really dont need them i left mine in there, filled hole with silicone put the cover back on havent had a single problem with it in three yrs

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Nathan: it is very common for the complete bypass to be plugged with corrosion. It can only be cleaned with the block off the midleg and match plate.
Not worth the bother.

Later Chrysler and Force engines simply stopped using the bypass. SO; As Chitown suggested, just fill the hole with silicone.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

man that is a load off the shoulders. Thanks guys. I am a little apprehensive, with the manual saying that until this is fixed you will still have a problem with over heating, but if you guys have done it and it works, then I am all for the simple solution.

Question though, why fill it with silicon, and not just leave it empty?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Well, If you haven't snapped the cover screws, you can always put it back on with the stretched spring.

If you don't replace the cover, it may weep water or the damn thing may just decide to pop out so in that case, you fill the hole with silicone rubber.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see, so the silicoln is for if you can't put the cover back on? Thankfully they antisized the bolts so they came out with out a hitch. I will just replace the cover then. Thanks for the info.