By pass speed switch to test trolling motor

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a Minn Kota 40 that I am fairly sure has a dead motor but before I trash it I want to be sure.

I have taken it apart and unplugged the wires to the rotary switch. Am I correct in assuming that jumping the battery wires to the two fattest wires going down the shaft while the two smaller wires are left disconnected should make it run on high speed?

There is no way those two little skinny wires are carrying any load.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: By pass speed switch to test trolling motor

Minnkota 40 "What" and how old? There are several 40's in the line-up and they are not all the same.

colbyt

I guess I thought you guys were mind readers. :)

Age unknown, older yellow/orange style logo for Endura 40 12 volt MKAF 23823. No other visible numbers on the body.

Wires off the rotary switch and going down the tube: red and black 10 gauge minimum, white and yellow 16 gauge max (these are eyeball estimates).

colbyt

In the case of this motor it is a mute point as there was a dead short somewhere and the brush housing was fried. So some parts are going to China for recycling (scrap yard) and a very few are going to be recycled locally and a very minor portion is going to the landfill..

If anyone does know how to connect a set of these wires for testing purposes I would love to add that information to my knowledge base.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Well I'd assume (yes we all know about assuming) that the two smaller wires would be the field winding wires and using standard DC configuration the black wire would be the neg while the yellow wire would be the pos. And of course the two larger wires would be the pos and neg like a normal setup. Before you scrape the entire motor, did you look to see if you could buy the replacement parts? I mean if you're looking to save it, you maybe could find those parts and make it work again...