buzzing

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class
i've got two stations on my boat, an upper and lower. twin mercs too. when i start my engine on either station the port buzzer sounds and doesn't shut off as if the key is on but the engine isn't running. if i disconect everything going to the upper station i can start it from down below and it won't buzz but if i reconnect everything in the upper it will buzz.
the connection is one big connection starting from down below going up. any idea what would be causing this?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: buzzing

Why don't you find what is causing the alarm to go off.
There are 3 things. Temp, oil pressure, and gear lube reservoir (depending on year of your engines.
With the engine running, disconnect one at a time (AT THE ENGINE) till you find the switch causing the alarm.

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok thanks, i thought it would have been a short at the helm area because it is only turning on when the top station is on and not the bottom station. but i will disconect what i can anyway just to check. It is an inboard so i guess the only ones to try would be the oil pressure and the temp.

also what is it that tells the alarm to go off when the engine isn't running but the key switch is left in the run position. in other words how does the alarm know to wait a few seconds then sound if the key isn't turned to start. how does it even know the engine isn't running?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

also what is it that tells the alarm to go off when the engine isn't running but the key switch is left in the run position.

With the key in the run position and the engine not running, there is no oil pressure. There is an oil pressure switch on the engine that when the engine is running, it opens and shuts off the alarm circuit.