Buzzer in throttle box?

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I finally got my 70hp Chrysler (1970? Model 706HD) running and had it out on the water last night. It ran great! After it idles for a while, a buzzer goes off in the throttle box. I was wondering if anyone knows what this is?? Is this some type of warm up timer? How do you shut it off other than going full throttle? It went off while brining the boat back into the launch and I was in a no wake zone so I couldn't throttle up. It goes off continously until the motor is shut off. Can I just disconnect a wire?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />The Dude

cloumar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Buzzer in throttle box?

Hi Dude,<br /><br />I am afraid that what you earing is your overheating alarm buzzer, is there any water coming out of the pee hole of the engine ? you may have an impeller problem.<br /><br />Smokey

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Could the buzzer possibly be an overheat warning device. I've got a '70 55hp but mine has a warning light. In any event, it wouldn't be a bad idea to remove LU and check water pump impeller. It makes sense that it would come on at low speed-idle and not at cruise speed if something in the cooling system is malfunctioning. At cruise , water is forced into engine. At idle, impeller is doing all the work.

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Although the boat seemed to be running well last night, the idle did seem to be set a bit low. Could it be something as simple as this? Could too low of RPM's not allow enough water through the system to keep it cool? Is impeller/water pump changing difficult/expensive? Sorry if I sound like an idiot guys, I am new to this and just happy that the beast is actually running. I do have the Seloc manual, so I guess I will do some light reading...<br /><br />The Dude

scotiany

No, it's not difficult or expensive to change the impeller on your motor. You can get the impeller here at iboats. I think it's less than $20. Having the Seloc manual is an excellent place to start. You should have the type D LU in the manual. While you're at it, you might want to change your LU lube. Both Mercury and Sierra have replacement drain plugs and gaskets for your engine. They're about $1.50 each. Lube you can get at Kmart etc. or an auto store. Just make sure it's marine gear lube.

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did change the LU lube before I ran it. I did not change any gaskets though. Do you have any idea about my question regarding RPM's? Could it simply be that the motor is idling too low?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />The Dude

fishonboat

Seaman

Dude<br />You need to replace the impeller. if you run it with the buzzer going off there is a good chance you will fry the motor. replacing the impeller is very simple and should be done again before taking it out on the water. I had the same problem and I replaced the impeller on my 120 force and the buzzer no longer comes on. It took me about and hour to do it by my self. Don't forget to use anti seize on the lower unit bolt before you reinstall. good luck.

scotiany

In the back of the Seloc manual it says the idle speed for a '70 70hp motor should be 700-750 rpm. I really think that you should change the impeller.

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys. I ordered the impeller and will give that a shot. Hopefully that solves the problem. Another $40 with shipping gone! (iboats doesn't have the part-it's discontinued)

scotiany

Before you spend $40, did you check your local NAPA? Ask to see their marine catalog.

fishonboat

Seaman

One other thing, make sure you inspect the impeller housing for cracks. I had a hair line crack in my housing and had to replace it. It wasn't that much more money to replace. I also like to coat the inside of the housing with a little film of grease. It helps when reinstalling the impeller.

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just wanted to give you guys and update:<br /><br />I put the new impeller in last night and ran the boat for 20 minutes at idle, and NO buzzer! The wierd thing is that the old impeller didn't look that bad. It was slightly worn, but overall not as bad as I expected. I really don't care, because the fix worked. I also wanted to thank you guys very much. You saved me a lot of time and money with your advice. Take care and good boating.<br /><br />The Dude