buying used ski

plumbduck

Cadet
i have been looking to buy a used jetski. looking on craigslist there are way to many broken ones, mostly engine problems. do they break that often and are they hard and expensive to work on

Noltz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: buying used ski

There's lot of broken ones for sale because they're expensive to fix and the owner wants out. Nothing wrong with that, but are you going to chance that it's a $300 repair and not a $3000 engine job?

I too am looking for a used 'ski, but I don't think I'll buy one until the budget allows for something with a 4 stroke inside.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I have had PWC's since 1985, and had Kawasaki, Sea Doo and now the Yamaha Waverunner VX Cruiser.

Do yourself and buy one that's a 4 stroke. Two stroke engines just don't have the longevity. (Though my 1990 Sea Doo is still on the original engine.)

And stay away from the high performance supercharged PWC's. They're expensive to repair, and you don't know how they've been treated.

Look for a PWC with relatively low hours, and one that's in impeccable condition. You may pay a little more for it, but it's good money spent.

The Yamaha VX models are the most dependable PWC's on the retail market, and they're very efficient on fuel. PWC rental stores use this model because of their low incidence of repairs. They may not be running 68 mph, but 54 mph is faster than I usually ride. Most PWC's are run around 30 mph.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

plum, it's good that you came here to ask this question before you went out and wasted your money on a huge moneypit.

1. Never, ever buy a used PWC without first test riding it! Never, unless you're paying pennies on the dollar and the ski is pretty much a parts machine. Ride it for a while. Not just 1 minute. Run it at wide open throttle and make sure it's running as it should.

2. Don't assume that the engine and pump are good just because the engine runs good while the ski is on the trailer. The engine isn't under load and even if it runs good, that tells you almost nothing.

3. Do a compression check!

4. A 4-stroke is probably a good idea. I'd be looking for one with well under 100hrs. Less than 50-60 is even better but that's just me. I don't consider a 140 hr ski "low hours" but many people do.

5. Yes, I too think that Yamahas are more reliable and less of a mechanical headache.

6. If you're not mechanically inclined, get ready to shell out some bucks to repair shops.

posted by Bamaman 1,
They may not be running 68 mph, but 54 mph is faster than I usually ride. Most PWC's are run around 30 mph.

My skis have two throttle positions; idle and wide open ;) . 54mph is nice, fast and fun and will keep you entertained for a long time. Don't settle for a slow, underpowered ski. Once you get used to it, and you will quickly, you'll crave more speed and power. 30 mph is for people who just want to leisurely cruise and that's fine. However, if you really want PWC fun, you'll want a lot more.

I've owned PWCs since I bought my first one brand new in 1994. I now have a stable of four.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Plumbduck,

I just love the simplicity and power of a two stroke, but dislike their fuel economy and noise. You will find the newer four stroke engines need greater maintenance including oil changes, oil filters, water draining for winter storage, and some need high test fuel. Our two stroke (like the old outboards) were self draining and need only fogging for winter storage - a five minute job by any novice.

We currently have a 1200 SUV Yamaha four-seater and except for a lubrication problem that toasted the engine after 10 years of use, the ski has been trouble free. We optioned to replace the engine last season for about $2400 - rather than switch to a smaller four stroke Yamaha three-seater, that was offered by the dealer at substantially higher cost.

Keep looking, but don't pass up on a clean older machine with a two-stroke, just to get the four-stroke. They all can have their problems but Yamahas are my choice and are described by many as "bullet-proof".

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH
Lake Erie

BlueFishCrisis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To answer your question directly, the longevity of a ski depends directly on the maintenance of the same. They break because people don't give them what they need. You can get a pretty sharp older 2 stroke for around $1500 with a trailer. Or, you can choose to go a different route, buy one that is in pieces for $200, and learn how the whole thing goes together so you basically can repair any part of it yourself. The two strokes are way simple to work on, while the 4 strokes are more fuel efficient, quieter, but are much more complex......

Last edited:

jbjennings

Captain

My opinion is that they ARE hard to work on. The engines are cramped up in a tight space, the carbs are usually cv style with popoff valves and are hard to tune. Kawasaki 2-stroke carbs like the 900 or 1100 zxi are just stupidly hard to tune. The seadoo 2-strokes are rotary valve engines and a little different as well. CHanging a starter on all of them is a major PITA.
From my meager experience, the 2 stroke skis with 1200cc or higher engines of darned near any brand are highly suspect to crater an engine. You'll hardly ever find a kawasaki ultra 150 with a good engine because they, like other brands, will hatch quickly if the fuel system/tuning/cooling is not absolutely perfect. Although, I'd love to have a good running ultra 150! :) Then again, they're pretty much all like that.
Keep in mind those ski engines are always turning over 6000 rpm's. If you ran your car engine like that, it would blow up quickly as well.
I ditto the suggestion to only buy a used one if you can ride it before you buy it.
I think the 4 strokes are really expensive compared to a 2 stroke, and are MUCH more expensive to get worked on so I wouldn't recommend one unless you can do what previous posters suggested and find a low hours ski. If you can't work on it yourself, they are all pretty darned costly to get worked on.

Yes---they do break down relatively more often than an outboard. If you don't like maintenance, you definitely don't need a jet ski. YOu have to keep them perfectly maintained or they will not run and if they do, will likely crater due to the slightest lean fuel condition. IF IF IF you keep fresh fuel, fresh fuel lines, inspect every fuel line connection, oil line connection, fresh oil lines, fresh battery, fresh fuel filters, regular spark plug inspections, etc., it will likely last a while and be relatively trouble free. Question is---are you willing?? Like everything else, each brand has it's little quirks and problems associated with it. I've heard good things about the yamaha vx series for a long time, but have no personal experience with them. I see a lot of yamahas as rentals like everyone else, and have never owned a Yamaha machine that was of low quality.
JMO,
JBJ

slothman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

problem with 2 strokes is that everyone is starting to ban them..eventually it will be 4 stroke only...