Buying used: '69 Johnson 20HP or '67 Evinrude 33HP

DallasJeff

Seaman
I have a Crestliner aluminum 14' V-hull from 1957 with a good-as-new transom. Currently running a 1954 Johnson Seahorse 10HP. I love the classic old motor and it runs great but been wanting more power for taking a buddy with me fishing.

I found on craigslist two motors and I wonder which one I should get. Both are $400. The Johnson is in good condition and runs strong. The Evinrude will start but needs a carb kit and the starter is on the blink and has a newly rebuilt lower unit. I can overhaul the carb on the Evinrude but not sure about a starter.

Based on that info, what do you guys think is the better deal and what should I look for when I go to see it run and make a purchase? I'm leaning toward the Johnson 20hp just because it (supposedly) runs great while the other may have problems.

Thanks for your help.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Buying used: '69 Johnson 20HP or '67 Evinrude 33HP

I think you need to check them both out and get maintenance receipts, rebuilt lower units are great if the seller can prove it has been replaced with a new unit or a rebuilt unit, it should have a paper trail of some sort.
The 20 sounds like it would be plenty but the 33 would kick a**

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I'm also running a QD-15 right now on my boat. :)

Are they both tiller? The 20 will have a good power increase over the 10. From a resell point of view the 20 will fetch more in my neck of the woods. The 33's are big and clunky. Plus the 33 weighs a LOT more than the 20... The 20 is one of the best power/weight ratios OMC built (and the 25 for the next few years). And the 20 is turn key. Unless you need the big weight and power, I'd go with the 20.

DallasJeff

Seaman

Thanks for the reply. I think the guy can produce a receipt for the new lower unit. He's asking about $350-400 just to cover his cost of replacing the lower unit a few months ago. My reservation is that he had it professionally serviced (lower unit) and it still has issues to the point that he decided to give up and sell it. Maybe the starter and carb rehaul cost was too much for the guy to keep putting money into it.

here's what he wrote:
"[FONT=&quot]it was running when i took it of my boat about 2 months ago the carb seemed to be loading up like the float was sticking.then once it starts it doesnt want to idle right the starter engages when it wants to and needs a little persuasion it has a new lower unit that was put on about 6 months ago and has only been ran 3 times since installed. the engine was too much for my jon boat and kept cracking the transom on it so i bought a brand new 25 horse yamaha for it i am asking ~$400 for it as that is what i payed for the lower unit. it does run and i can start it with a cord that you wrap around the flywheel"[/FONT]

I'm too novice of a boat mechanic to know if that sounds liek good diagnosis but I am able to put a new carb kit in and clean it out. Not so sure about the starter and unsure about parts availablility.

DallasJeff

Seaman

I'm also running a QD-15 right now on my boat. :)

Are they both tiller? The 20 will have a good power increase over the 10. From a resell point of view the 20 will fetch more in my neck of the woods. The 33's are big and clunky. Plus the 33 weighs a LOT more than the 20... The 20 is one of the best power/weight ratios OMC built (and the 25 for the next few years). And the 20 is turn key. Unless you need the big weight and power, I'd go with the 20.

Thanks Sam, my '54 runs exceptionally well with compression in the 88-90 psi range on both cylinders. I'm really attached to it now after working on it to get running so well but need more power to plane out with weight in the boat. Good info about the power/weight ratio because I dont know much about these specific motors. Both are tiller. I also don't know what my old Crestliner can handle. That old 10 is all I've ever had on it.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

$400 sounds way too cheap for a completely rebuilt lower unit, the gear sets are close to that. $400 for a used one sounds about right. I'd be aiming for the 20, 35 just seems like overkill plus it needs additional work.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

DallasJeff

Seaman

Here is the boat information from the crestliner catalog. You'll need to know the model. There were tiller model 14' boats that year. A Seaman which is rated at 8hp and a Commander rated at 35hp

http://www.retrocrestliner.com/images/1957catalog p21and22.jpg

Here is also the link to the vinatge crestliner site. Click on catalogs and you can view the entire catalog.

http://www.retrocrestliner.com/Links.htm

Thanks for that. Its the '57 Commodore, well built and still solid like the day it hit the water 52 years ago. I'm going with the Johsnon 20 from '69. The Evinrude has too many unknowns.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I think you made a good decision. The ERude sounds like it has quite a few problems and I have to wonder if you need that much power.

I too would question what the seller means by a "new" gearbox. Was it completely rebuilt? Was it merely resealed? Was a new clutch dog put in it? Were the old gears "cut? Were new gears installed? Unless the guy literally purchased a complete NOS ERude gearcase, "new" could mean just about anything.

???

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

20 will be excellent on that boat, with 2 or 3 people. alone it will be hard to handle unless you put weight in the bow, or you go to stick steering and remote controls.

i had 15hp on a 14 lonestar, wished i had the 20hp.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I say 20 hp is ample for that boat.