Buying Sudafed? Please show me your ID... Another Oregon Blunder

Homerr

Commander
Some of you may know, but my beloved Oregon state decided that we now have to show our ID and LEAVE our personal information to buy OTC cold medicine that contains ephedrine like Sudafed.<br /><br /> http://www.katu.com/health/story.asp?ID=71516 <br /><br />This makes about as much sense as the 10 round magazine ban!<br /><br />What's next? Propane? Matches? <br />Crackheads use propane to cook their dope... Are they going to track me because I buy so much gas to heat my family in the winter?<br /><br />Yet another fine example of our state's leadership. :mad: <br /><br />If Sudafed is the main ingredient, then why don't they make your Dr. prescribe it? Why take away the honest person's freedom?<br /><br />Where is the ACLU on this one?<br /><br />Yes sir.. this is really going to stop the dopers from getting their ingredients...<br />So for kicks and giggles, go to EBay and type in Sudafed. YEP! it's there. <br /><br />Yes sir... The Oregon law is certainly going to help stop getting the goods. <br />What complete imbeciles! :mad: <br /><br /><br />///////////////////////////////////////////////<br /><br /><br />Cut and paste of the article (there are many...this is just one)<br /><br />October 2, 2004 <br /><br />Cold sufferers will soon need identification to get relief<br /><br /><br /> <br />SALEM, Ore. - Catching a cold is about to get much more complicated:<br /><br />Gov. Ted Kulongoski issued an order Friday that will require people buying over-the-counter cold medicines in Oregon to show identification and leave personal information at the register.<br /><br />The new rules go into effect Oct. 13, and are designed to slow the state's methamphetamine problem. Cold remedies such as Sudafed contain the main ingredients in the manufacture of the powerfully addictive and cheap street drug.<br /><br />"Meth labs exist in Oregon homes, hotels, motels, apartments and even in automobiles," Kulongoski said. "They're just as likely to be found in rural communities as they are in big cities."<br /><br />Kulongoski's Methamphetamine Task Force recommended the emergency rules, which will be in place for 180 days as the governor works with the Legislature to make them permanent.<br /><br />Methamphetamine fuels 85 percent of the state's property and identity-theft crimes, and is the leading reason Oregon children are removed from their homes and placed in long-term foster care, the governor said.<br /><br />Oregon treats more people for meth addiction per capita than any other state in the country.<br /><br />The new guidelines are modeled after an Oklahoma law credited for a steep drop in illegal meth labs in that state. Purchasers must go to a store's pharmacy counter or front register and show identification.<br /><br />"Vendors will be required to keep a record of every purchase," Kulongoski said. Officials will be on the watch for people making multiple purchases in a short time."<br /><br />Details of how names and other personal information will be gathered and used won't be worked out until the Oregon Board of Pharmacy meets next week to adopt the new rules.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Buying Sudafed? Please show me your ID... Another Oregon Blunder

Oklahoma is the pioneer in this type of legistlation. <br /><br /> Meth Labs decline <br /> Washington Times <br /> <br />The county where we boat at was in the top 5 for meth production.<br /><br />There is no more information taken for ephedrin based medications then there is for pharmicist controlled medications.<br /><br />There are many reasons why you may have 500 gallons of propane or several boxes of matches but only one reason why you would buy an entire case of sudefed and it has nothing to do with ragweed.<br /><br />Many medications start out as prescription only medications and are later made OTC when they are proven safe and effective. Why can't it go the other way when it is shown there is a ready market for them for illict use?<br /><br />Also lithium batteries are used in the making of meth. <br /><br />I don't understand your arguement about if it so bad why not make a Dr. precription neccessary to obtain it. This would make it even more difficult for honest people to gain relive from a proven medication.<br /><br />What would the difference be?<br />You would still have to go to the pharmacy, show i.d. and sign for it. But first you would have to schedual an appointment with your doctor and pay his fee.<br /><br />I know like it seems a burden to honest folks like us but show me where we haven't had our choices limited due to the dishonesty of a few.

LubeDude

Admiral

No problem, I just went on the internet and found a place I can get all I want delivered to my door UPS.<br /><br />Why cant we have a real Governor??? Hes the Crack head???

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> No problem, I just went on the internet and found a place I can get all I want delivered to my door UPS.<br /><br />Why cant we have a real Governor??? Hes the Crack head???
Hey LD, you still have my email?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

More dumb legislation that wont slow criminals down at all.<br /><br />Ken

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

It won't slow the big time makers down, but it will definitely make the casual cooker think twice.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Acetone is another thing that is used in those labs for illegal drugs. I had a swimming pool that I needed a large amount of acetone for. I had to give all my info and what I was using it for. To my surprise, a sheriff showed up on the work site to verify what it was being used for. Guess I should have just bought small containers instead. But I had no problem with giving them the info since I was using it for fiberglass work. That was about 15 years ago, so it has been a problem for years.<br /><br />Homer, sudafed by itself taken in large quanities will give the user a trip. I think this could be another reason why your gov is doing what he has done also.<br /><br />The new thing around here is teens cutting open shotgun shells and snorting gun powder. Sad, very sad.... :(