Buying new 2020 bay boat in 2022

yrrabevets

Recruit
Hi everyone. I am considering buying a new, 2020 alumacraft bay boat with a 150 evinrude thats been sitting on the dealer's lot in the sun for more than 2 years. The boat and engine have both been discontinued (apparently Alumacraft is no longer making their all welded hulls??). The warranty on the boat started ticking 18 months after being delivered to dealer and the warranty on engine only has two of the three years left as well - even with zero hours on it. I confirmed this all with BRP. I don't know what these boats listed for originally, but it doesn't seem like the dealer is discounting the price much, even considering all of this. They wont take less than 36k.

What do you think?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

there are other boats for sale. offer him what you want to offer, then walk away. they will call you in a day or two if they want to make that deal.

yrrabevets

Recruit
Thanks Scott. Just hard for me to know what the boat is worth - to even be able to make an offer. Not many for sale, not many similar for sale. And this one is "new" but 2 years old, partially out of warranty, and both boat and motor have been discontinued.

yrrabevets

Recruit
Yeah, I will. I've done that nada guide walk through and get pretty close to their number, but thats not taking the warranty into account. I doubt they are going to come down any from what they already have told me. Closest boat I can find for a comparison is several states away, basically the same boat but 2022 model and its only 4k more. Just have to decide if it's worth 4k discount to basically loose the bow/stern warranty and less 1 year on engine and hull. I guess that's what I am asking, to you, would it be worth it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yeah, I will. I've done that nada guide walk through and get pretty close to their number, but thats not taking the warranty into account. I doubt they are going to come down any from what they already have told me. Closest boat I can find for a comparison is several states away, basically the same boat but 2022 model and its only 4k more. Just have to decide if it's worth 4k discount to basically loose the bow/stern warranty and less 1 year on engine and hull. I guess that's what I am asking, to you, would it be worth it?
I dont buy new, I build what I want. Cars, Boats, Trucks, Hot Rods..... all start as projects.

My next boat will most likely be twin diesels

yrrabevets

Recruit
I get that. I'm that way for things with wheels I guess. This will be my first boat in 20 years and it will be left at a remote spot, so I just want to get in and go.