Buying Hunting Land with others....

ehenry

Commander
I know there are a number of you here on Iboats that hunt and probably belong to a hunting camp with a group of others. Most of these camps are on property thats leased from year to year for the privilege of hunting on it. Are there any of you here that have bought in to some hunting land with a group of people? I have an opportunity to get in on a Camp where the members will own the property instead of a lease situation. <br /><br />I looking for wisdom from those of you that are already in something like this. What are some of the things I need to look out for? Questions I need to ask? Things like that? <br /><br />If I do this I'll be getting in on the ground floor because this is the first year for this camp and the price is fairly attractive. Around here its getting to where if you don't own the land you wont have any to hunt. I'm really thinking this for my son so he'll have a place to hunt when I'm gone.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Buying Hunting Land with others....

I'm partners on some hunting land but it is just me and my uncle so there are no real issues, we just bring whoever we want.<br /><br />However it sounds like you are looking more like a club, In this scenerio I would ask if each individual is to be listed on the title. How are members chosen and what happens if someone dies or wants out. Also how is it to be handeled in the case of disbandment. Can it be willed to your son. How many guns total and are there limitations on guest's...If there is more than a couple of ya, ya want guest's limited. <br /><br />Sounds like fun...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Lots of questions to ask, some may need legal work to define.<br />Who is paying the taxes?<br />Who can hunt there?<br />Owners? family? friends? in-laws? cousins? <br />Who can use the land the rest of the year and for what purposes?<br />How will the land be titled, and in whos name?<br />What improvements can you or someone else make?<br />If need be, how do you get out. get your money so you can move on?<br />Can you sell your share to anyone?<br />What happens if some owners don't pay their share of expenses or taxes?<br />What happens if one owner dies?<br />Does his share go to his kid(s)? which kid? <br />What happens if one owner gets a divorse and the ex want her share? <br />Or if she remarries and now you have her new husband and his 25 relatives using the land?<br /><br />Also have to protect against lawsuits against any owners. What is one owner gets sued for some car accident or goes bankrupt, what happens to his share? Will all be forced to sell their share to satisfy the court order?<br /><br />Use your imagination, many possible scenarios could cause you hassles or loss of investment, or legal liability. Joint ownership of land has led to many feuds and legal hassles.<br /><br />Go see a lawyer, cover your ASSets, make it legal, get insurance.<br />Perhaps set up a non profit, or a partnership, or a hunting preserve. etc.<br /><br />As an example, each owner should have a life insurance policy in the amount of his stake in the property, so that upon his death, the proceeds are payable to his heirs to buy them out of his share and any lawsuits.<br /><br />Local legal counsel will know what avenue is best in our state.<br />Handshake agreements don't cut it anymore.

ehenry

Commander

The primary reason I want to do this is so my son will have a place to hunt after I'm gone. I wouldn't even consider this if I couldn't deed may share to my son. At this point I dont know all the particulars involved. I know where the property is and I know a couple of the guys involved. They approched me over the weekend about it. Anyone with more knowlege on this matter feel free to chime in.<br /><br />Roscoe, you're correct in getting an attorney involved. I have access to a good realestate attorney.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

take roscoe's advice, especially where real estate is involved. especially if Mississippi is a community property state. or a forced heirship state. The life insurance is an *excellent* idea.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

As long as the partners are good sensible people, you will be fine.<br /><br />But all it takes is one idiot bringing every one he knows up there to hunt and tearing up the place, and you will be miserable.<br /><br /><br />Ken

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Lawyer!!! I hate saying that, but that's the only way. You and your partners may get along great, but what about their heirs and spouses that'll have to be dealt with someday. There's bound to be an sob in there somewhere.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Roscoe is absolutely correct!<br /><br />Some hunting properties are set up as an LLC (limited liability corp.) and have the ground rules set up in the charter.

ehenry

Commander

Like I said earlier, i dont have all the info on it yet...I was wanting some input from others on the board to give me some insight in to something like this. I appreciate everyone that has commented.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

efhenry: <br />Few friends and myself talk about going together and buying some land for hunting. For now its just talk. I hope one day we can all get together and purchase some land. We aren’t getting any younger.<br />Good Luck!

Fly Rod

Commander

:) The most important thing is to make sure your name is on the title(DEED), if not, you own nothing!!! It is always a wise decision to use a lawyer to represent you when buying land or house!!!He will make sure that you have clear title etc: GOOD LUCK!!!! ;) :cool:

mvaughn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've leased hunting land with others for many years now and has always worked out well, we've invited several people some years and none others, with no problems to date. I personally have never purchased land with more than one name on the deed. I've seen my famlily and friends both go in on lake properties, hide away cabins and so forth. Seems like just about every time, one of them was left felling screwed at the end. Guess it's difficult to have too many different plans or opinions for only one piece of property?<br /><br />Like the saying "houses are only built big enough for one woman", same can be true for hunting land and men. Best of luck to ya though, does sound like a good idea, hope it works out.

ehenry

Commander

MVaughn, I hear ya on the hunting land not being big enough for some men. <br /><br />The lease I'm in, I've been a part of since I was a child. The same club has held the lease for over 60 years. The guys that are in it I've grown up with and we all have great respect for one another. The camp president, vice president and myself are officers of the camp w/me being secretary/treasurer. We've all seen our own kids grow up in this camp, hunting and fishing with one another. I'm probably not going to get out of this camp, I'm just looking for something that will hopefully turn in to something good. Something that I have ownership in.

mvaughn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

EF<br />If those are the kind of guy's that will be your partners it sounds like it would be a great idea, especially if you already know they hold similar values as yourself. <br /><br />As for the legalities, I have to agree with the others, it's always a good idea to spend a few hundrend on a lawyer (occasionally they are good for something) to prevent the possible loss of thousands.

Realgun

Commander

Everything in writing nothing is legal unless its in writing!

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

My grandfather did the same thing years ago, with 2 guys, and it really didn't work out as planned. Not horrible mind you but not as he planned. One other thing to discuss is the buyout value. If someone wants out of the deal for anyreason you will want to know what its going to cost to keep the land as a group or solo. Good luck, sounds like a blast.

one more cast

Captain

I had a chance to get in a deal like this one time and passed. My buddy bought in. The first year things were OK but then when some of the owners wanted to build a big camp others wanted no camp and thats when the troubles started. Make sure you know the future intentions of all involved.

aspeck

Staff member

ef, how is this going? You want to make sure you are all in agreement as to how the land is to be used, who can use it, etc. Of course you are going to hunt there, but what about vacations, etc. Scheduling the land use can get dicey if not pre-determined. Also, things like use of alcohol on the premises. Some like alcohol at the hunting camp for consumption any time. Others like only "after hours" use, and still others like "NO alcohol during hunting season." Make sure you are all on the same page.<br /><br />Get a list of rules and by-laws that cover conduct, penalties, dues, how you will handle repairs, refurbishing, will there be mandatory workdays, and if you miss, will there be penalties, can you add members/owners/ can you deed or sell your membership/ownership, are there limits to guests, etc. Think of anything you possibly can and cover it BEFORE you get unto something like this. If it is planned in advance, it can be a great thing.<br /><br />If you need to see a copy of the by-laws of an existing hunting club, send me an email and I will send you ours.<br /><br />Good luck!

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class

efhenery....i would not get into a partner ship with a large group of people, especaily strangers.Just think about it......anything that you think could happen, probably will. You would be better off buying your own land,and set it up the way you want.I am from northern ny and bought an old dairy farm about four years ago with about 75 acres of land for under 20k. I plan on building a hunting camp next year.