BUYING BOAT

BOAT

Cadet
HEY ANY INFO ON A 1990 GLASTRON 120 HP VOLVO MOTOR THAT I SHOULD KNOW ABOUT.THEY JUST REPLACED THE WATER PUMP.ANY FURTURE PROBLEMS TO LOOK FOR THANKS BRUCE

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: BUYING BOAT

I know the boat you are referring to, but I can't say I'm very familiar with them. As with any boat, there are a lot things to be considered before buying.<br /><br />Engine condition/compression, signs of overheating, oil leaks etc...<br /><br />Boat structure: Check floor, stringers, transom for dry rot etc...<br /><br />Major repair of either will result in major $$$...<br /><br />Good luck and enjoy!<br /><br />Walt

page62

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: BUYING BOAT

I have a similar 1993 Glastron with a Volvo motor. They're considered very reliable, top quality units. Not the most powerful, though. So if you want to pull 2 skiers at once, or go 55 mph, find another boat. But for normal cruising and general messing around, it's a fine setup.<br /><br />Parts can be expensive (hey, it's a Volvo after all). But many of the most common items (like thermostats, water pumps, alternators) are available from aftermarket suppliers at reduced cost.<br /><br />If you buy the boat, the first thing you need to do is buy an engine manual. It will tell you everything you need to know about maintenance and repair.