Buying boat that requires shipping tips

low timer

Cadet
Hello, I'm close to buying a boat that will require being shipped over a 1000 miles which prevents me from picking up the boat myself. I'm looking for any tips or suggestions to prevent as many problems as possible. The seller wants to use U-Ship and I'm reading several problems using U-Ship. The deal may not happen since I may not get comfortable paying for the boat and then having the boat shipped via U-Ship. There seems to be so many scams, I don't want to pay my money and have the boat never arrive at my location. Please share your thoughts or stories with buying a boat long distance and having it shipped.

Thanks for your time.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Buying boat that requires shipping tips

One thing you can try is going to your local RV sales place. They usually use some kind of 3rd party delivery company that can also bring you your boat. Ask them who they use or if they can suggest a company. They must have a DOT number to be legal. as they are engaged in commercial use on the interstate hwy system.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Are you sure the whole transaction is not a scam? Have you actually seen the boat? SUrveyed?

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just used U-ship and picked the person who had the BEST feedback. Mach-One expedited (has DOT) brought my boat from Florida to WI in just three days. Great communication and a good price and a great guy to work with. I wholeheartedly recommend them. I can get his phone # if you would like. For me, I flew to Florida and paid for the boat. I had the boat stored at a local Marina there for a couple of days till Dave (owner) from Mach One could pick it up.

I also went to the DMV and did the boat paperwork with the previous owner. I figured the 400.00 I spent on a round trip ticket and one night hotel and rental was well worth my peace of mind.

I paid 1700 for the trip from Florida to WI, so you should only have to pay around 7 to 8 hundred for a thousand miles.

If I can help in any way, please PM me.

See you on the lake

Joe

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I am in the same dilema and the uship thing seems ok if you check out the feedback. I want a boat shipped about 1700 miles and its going to cost anywhere from $2500-$4500.
I may just make the trip and bring it back myself.

mr 88

Commander

With uship you do not pay the whole amount until the boat is delivered to the place of your choice.uship does take there fees after you and the shipper finalize the deal,maybe 7-10% of total amount.You pay shipper cash/ certified check or whatever you work out before hand.You can put in a low bid and see if anyone bites on it,You do not have to take a bid, you have a while to decide and can say yeah or nay.Shipped a 15' boat from LA to NY on my trailer and it was around 950.You have to catch someone making a return trip empty.

kemer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm kind of in the same predicament as you. I'm looking for a boat myself, and one of them are in California. So through emails with the dealership that has the boat, they suggested to ship the boat. I think I'll just make the drive and pick it up myself, if that's the boat we end up going with. Although that might not work for you given the distance you have to travel.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am in the same dilema and the uship thing seems ok if you check out the feedback. I want a boat shipped about 1700 miles and its going to cost anywhere from $2500-$4500.
I may just make the trip and bring it back myself.

That seems a little high. Especially with gas prices going down. My friend had a 27 foot Sport Craft shipped from Miami to Lake of the Woods in Minnesota, right on the Canadian border and it cost him 2200.00, So I think you should get a better deal, depending on the size of boat you're going to tow.

See you on the lake

Joe

low timer

Cadet

Thanks everyone for the information. I have not seen the boat yet, but would fly out and have a survey completed before we finalize the deal. I'm fairly sure there is an actual boat, but cautious about a scam. I've asked a couple times for the titles of the boat and trailer he claims to have in hand to be faxed, but my fax machine hasn't rang yet. I've also asked for detail photos of damage and we'll see if they are emailed this weeknd when he is back at the marina. I have talked to the marina where the boat is stored. They know the person and have serviced the boat. This makes me confident there is a boat, but am cautious until I start receiving the documents and photos. I trying to learn as many downfalls as possible when it comes to shipping the boat when I probably wouldn't be at the shipping point when it's picked up. I'm not too far from walking away. Maybe I'm being too parinoid, but there are so many scams these days.

Thanks again for all the information.