Buying a used outboard

jeffvan1

Cadet
O.K. now that the title has your attention (I don't know if this is the proper forum or if this should go in the engines forum but) I'm planning on buying a used outboard from a boat dealer and have never purchased a motor before. Is the price negotiable ??? Do boat dealers take trade ins on your existing motor ??? Will they install the motor and hook up the throttle and steering cables? I'm sure being a first time buyer that I'll get taken but I don't want to get raped..

Last edited by a moderator:

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re:

Re:

Sure the price is negotiable.
Will they take yours on trade? Maybe maybe not. This is up to the dealer.
Most will rig it for you at an additional cost of course.
BTW, you might want to change the title before one of the mods do it for you.;)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re:

Re:

Not a good way to try and draw attention to your question, in fact, I find it to be in very poor taste and have reported it to the moderators.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: Buying a used outboard

The title is in poor taste. I changed it. Please don't do that again.......

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

All your questions are best answered by your local dealer. Some may answer it differently.

A boat dealer won't rape you. Any reputable dealer will be selling motors that are in good working order (to the best of their knowledge) and will generally bear a slightly-above market price, but at least it's a known quantity. I'd still have them barrel test the motor in the shop so that you can see and hear how it runs. If you like it make an offer and/or sweeten the pot by offering a trade-in. The hookup will be extra if you choose to have that done.

Good luck

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Ask about some type of warranty if you cant sea test the used outboard, I know I would. Barrel test and sea test are two very different birds, under load a motor can show it's true abilities, in a barrel you can hear it idle, that's about it.