Buying a used boat??

Sunbirder

Cadet
I am about to buy a 1997 20ft Sunbird corral cuddy with a OMC 4.3l fuel injected engine.Can anyone advise me about these boats and engines,Thanks :p

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Buying a used boat??

I've been running a 1991 20' Renken this summer with the 4.3 OMC. The boat sat all of last year and most of the year before. I kind of inherited this boat from my buddy and he neglected to flush the motor regularly, and perform other routine maintenance. After spending a week doing repairs and spending about $400.00 the Motor and outdrive have been fine. Personally I prefer the Mercruisers, I've owned one and have been around them for years and they have always been reliable. Many people dont care for the OMC's but I think they are ok. I did have to get some parts like a thermostat, riser gaskets, and rubber boots. And even came close to ordering risers and elbows (which were available) but was able to get the ones I had acid flushed by the local radiator shop. My main concerns would be getting parts and also resale value.

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Buying a used boat??

Here you go...<br /><br />Sunbird Boat Company<br />2348 Shop Road<br />Columbia, SC 29201<br />803-799-1125<br /><br /> :cool: