buying a new motor

jroberts24

Cadet
Hi fellas,<br /><br />I am about to buy a new motor, my outboard mechanic told me to make sure it is a mercury or yamaha two stroke. He exclaimed that most mechanics don't want to work on four strokes as they are expensive to work on, require special tools and education. He says that mercury and yamaha give the least problems of the new outboards at present. Is this true? After shopping around, I found that I can get a suzuki for around 3 grand cheaper. After reviewing the specs on the suzuki outboard, it seems to be pretty good and comes with a three year warranty. As far as the four stroke, The man at travis boating center explained that their mechanics are very proficient at working on four strokes and that they don't charge any more to work on them. He also explained that the 140 hp has just as much power as the 150 hp two stroke, runs more quiet, and is much more fuel efficient. What are the pros and cons on the suzuki outboards. I only know what the dealer told me and what I read in the brochure.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />jroberts

flatsman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: buying a new motor

Do some reading on the research , two strokes emit less and perform better, have less moving parts, weigh less and are just as quiet. Check on the new evinrudes and mercs. Early versions did have some problems but both have come a long way. Evinrude has a new etech engine with a longer warranty and merc has extended theirs also. It's your money and you know what you really want , there is plenty of b.s. out there on 4 strokes , they have problems also. You can here anything but money jiggle. Lots of luck

NathanY

Commander

All new motors are good PERIOD. It is the maintainence that makes them last. <br /><br />Find a dealer that you trust, and that has parts readily available, and that is covienent for you, and buy what he has.

roj

Cadet

2 strokes emit less???<br /><br />I thought that the four strokes were designed to be more 'environmentally friendly'. I'm not claiming to know different but I was looking to go 4 stroke for that reason- eventually. Time to search threads eh?

Dan180cc

Seaman Apprentice

Hello,<br /><br /> I purchased the motor you are talking about Johnson 140 4 stroke and I am very pleased with it. I really like the fuel injection, no carbs and no oil to fool with. I have to listen for it to hear it run, I might add the Fitch F.I seems to be good also but if you want to get the real story, find the number of the company that provides extended warrenty plans IE Pinnical corp and give them a call to see which engines they have to buy or repair the most. 2 strokes loose big time to 4 strokes. I chose the big Johnson.<br />But dont take my word for it, Make the call and do the homework check the spec's and repair records. The truth is out there!<br /> Dan.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Well guys I think once again it's been proven that the subject of 2 stroke DFI's vs. 4 stroke is as broad as it is wide. <br /><br />I think self education on the two is the key here as well as finding a dealer,as Nathan posted, that can take care of any woes ya' might have and that will help the buyer learn how to to operate the engine. Also getting the go-ahead from the family superintendant, the little lady, is also important.

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

Aside from the pros and cons of DFI 2 strokes vs 4s stroke, vs carb'd 2 strokes (is that what he's suggesting?) I think jroberts should be looking for a new mechanic. :rolleyes: