Buying a new boat, Changed my mind!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Well I had a small deposit on a 2005 20' walksround (SeaPro). However, over the weekend I (we, wife and I) stumbled on a boat I fell in love with. <br /><br />Say Hello to Stiff Nibbles II:<br /><br />It's a 23' Wellcraft Excel, 1997. Has a 200HP Ocean Pro 'Rude on it. Here's the thing, it's absloutely 100% immaculate, not a mark, rip, tear, blemish, crack, anything anywhere on it. Annually shrinkwrapped, profesionally maintained, etc. Looking at it and not knowing what year it is, you would easily believe me if I told you it was a new boat. Only 218 hours, all maintenance professionally done with the documentation to back it up. Full canvas enclosure, Charting GPS, wide view FF, DSC VHF, AM/FM/CD, trim tabs, live wells, vacuflush head, dinette, gas burner, sink, did I mention it was immaculate? I would eat off the deck if I had to. <br /><br />Owner bought a Grady Gulf Stream, said this boat was just too small. OK. Was asking $20,500, I offered him $18,000 which was what I had put together as a down payment on the 2005, and he took it! It's in the water so I test drove it, engine starts and runs awesome as it should with olny 218 hours on it. Boat runs at a respectable clip, about 25mph at 3800R. <br /><br />Best part, no new boat financing! :) Have to buy a trailer for it ($2740 locally here, brand new roller trailer with disc brakes on all 4 wheels) so I might have to float a few bucks at the credit union, but overall I went from looking at a payment for 5 years to pretty much paying cash for this while rig. I'm happy!<br /><br />Found some reviews of the boat from back in the mid to late 90's, one where they actually compared the 23 Excel to a 26 Seaswirl, and gave the nod to the Excel. I also looked on NADA, this boat with the options it has is worth Average Ratil of $23,500. Says pirce is higher if in exceptional condition which this boat definitely is so I am one happy camper. :) <br /><br />Wish me luck with this one!! I pick it up this weekend! Juat in time for the fall stripers!!!!!!! :D :D :D

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: Buying a new boat, Changed my mind!

Great for you steve. You get the double pleasure of selling your old boat while within a month getting a new one. Pic's please. <br /><br />What are you going to tow this with? That has to be pushing 6000 lbs. Pic's of striper would be nice as well. :) <br /><br />Congrats..

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Towing with my Silverado, 300HP 5.3L, tow package, rated around 9000pounds. <br /><br />As far as striper pics, I'll be working on that all fall!!! <br /><br />As far as a boat pic, all I have right now is the shot from the ad:<br /><br />
snii.jpg
<br /><br /> :D :D :D

aspeck

Staff member

COOL! Congrats Steve!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Congrats, Steve. That's a REAL boat. Has there ever been a post re roller trailers vs bunk trailers. I thought rollers could be hard on the bottom of the hull, especially for heavier boats? Considering that you are not committed yet, I would want to get whichever would be the best.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Congrats to you Steve,<br />It sounds as if you have got yourself a very nice boat.<br />Interesting point on the trailer though.<br />I have noticed that the majority of trailers in use seem to have bunks to support the hull.<br />All our trailer manufacturers here in NZ seem to offer only multi roller trailers even for the bigger sizes of hulls.<br />All the Boat Manuf's seem to be comfortable with that as well. Rollers certainly make launching a drier job which means we dont have to get so deep in the water in winter.<br /><br />Good luck there.<br />Regards<br />Peter

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Steve,<br /><br />FWIW, I have a 25foot pocket cruiser very similiar in design as your boat, (relatively deep V, modest freeboard and around 6K in weight. I have the bunk style trailer and I am very grateful for it. <br /><br />The first benefit it provides is it sits lower on the trailer than does the roller type trailer which makes it more stable on the road, less windage, and making it considerably more stable at speed on the highway. <br /><br />It requires less water to launch in by as much as a foot or more over my dad's 23 foot cabin cruiser with a roller trailer. Not necessarily indicitive of all roller trailers just my experience, and I like floating my boat off the bunks as opposed to sliding it off the rollers. Just more control to my way of thinking.<br /><br />In addition getting into and out of the boat for service and cleaning while it is on the trailer, is easier due to the fact it is lower to the ground. <br /><br />Last but not least for whatever reason, either the design of my dads roller trailer, or simply symptomatic of roller trailers there is less bouncing around with the bunks. Either way you clearly have the HP to trailer this with ease..<br /><br />I would check with the mfg, and see what they recommend but I really prefer the bunks. The trailer brand I have is a vanguard.<br /><br />Seriously cool looking boat. I think it was the cover boat for the Boat US catalog last year!!!!

Dunaruna

Admiral

FWIW the type of trailer could be important depending on how the boat is built. Some boats are built around a substantial keel beam, this beam is designed to take all the weight of the boat with side bunks for anti-rocking only.<br /><br />I would suggest you check with the manufacturer first before making a decision.<br /><br />Aldo

Fly Rod

Commander

;) "CONGRADULATIONS!!!!" <br /><br />Nice looking boat!!! ;) :cool:

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Tomorrow is the big day! Wish me luck! I feel like I'm 5 years old and it's christmas eve. :D :D :D