Buying a Boat; Random questions, advice; (Brands)

TheAviator

Cadet
I was originally going to buy a Cabin Cruiser, then thought maybe I'll just rent next summer. At this point I'm strongly thinking of just buying a used Ski Boat, with fairly low hours, something around 18.5 to 22 feet to cut my teeth on. 2002-2008 ish. I am looking at a great Rinker that is $15K used, 2005, I think this same boat retails new for about $33. Was just curious as to what you think of brands, which are the best, what to stay away from. So far Rinker looks great to me, Crownline and Cobalt, although I do not think I'll be able to find a Cobalt that is less than $20K. I was also looking at some Tahoes, I could get a 2005 Q6 for $9K, new engine, looks clean, but I would have to re-do the apholstery. I was also advised to stay away from Volvo engines and stick with MercCruisers, does this sound right? Due to primarily everyone works on Mercs, hard to find people to work on Volvos., etc. Thanks in advance for your pointers and ideas.

agallant80

Commander
Re: Buying a Boat; Random questions, advice; (Brands)

With used boats it is more about the condition rather than the brand. With that said the order of good quality to lesser quality will be some where around the order of

Crownline, Cobalt, Searay near the top with Stingray in the middle and bayliner. Tahoe twards the lesser.

As for Volvo vs Merc, It does not really matter. Mercruiser is owned by the Brunswick corp who also owns Bayliner and Searay and some other boat builders so Merc will be more prevalent. If I had my choice I would go Volvo, they tend to out innovate Merc and give your more features to stay competitive. One thing about Volvo is if it has a composite drive RUN, don't even spend any more time considering that boat.

As for cruiser vs bowrider its a toss up. I made the change from bowrider to cruiser this year. I miss blasting around the lake, water sports, the better layout to just hang out on the lake with people but I have had some great adventures this season in the cruiser (see link in my signature). I really do like the cruiser but if for some reason I had to go back to the bowrider I would not be too upset. Bowrider will provide for better and more time with family and friends.

Last edited:

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Crownline and Cobalt are toward the upper mid-range. There are many better names and many worse. It still amounts to maintenance and how stored. I'd stay away from all Tahoes, Bayliners, and a few others. Volvo~ Merc either. In many areas parts and service are more available on Merc but if you have at least 2 Volvo service centers near I'd not shy away.

TheAviator

Cadet

I think everyone here will tell you the same thing, in the used boat market brand means little if anything, it's all about the care and maintenance it has received during it's life. As to drives, if asked which is better I would give the nod to Volvo Penta but as you suggest you need to see if there is a service center for them in your area.

As an example: "I could get a 2005 Q6 for $9K, new engine, looks clean, but I would have to re-do the apholstery".

A 2005 boat that they destroyed the engine in already and allowed the upholstery to go to rot? No WAY. The owner obviously did not take care of the boat at all and it's a CERTAINTY there are deeper problems you haven't spotted yet.

I found that odd as well, a 2005 that already had a new motor. I had given it some serious thought considering it was a new motor and the hull looked in great condition, upholstery no, but you make a good point.

Thanks for all of the advice. I did forget to add Sea Ray to that list, I know that is a good brand, but as you have said, maintenance and care is first and foremost.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

You also forgot Monterey, Regal, Four Winns, Ebbtide, and Bryant. All considered upper/mid level in my book.

tpenfield

Staff member

Since boat brand discussions can lead to 'brand bashing', I'll send you a PM.

Ttigger

Cadet

Now that the season is winding down, there are deals to be had. If you are wiling to do a little work, you can a great deal.
I just got an '87 Sea Ray Seville 19 foot bowrider with good upholstery and a ton of toys for $1500. It needed a few odds and ends but runs great. I searched for a couple of months and made a 4 1/2 drive each way to look at the boat.

I figured if something major happens to the boat in a year or two I'll only be out $1500. It's a great starter boat.

Keep your options open and dig around, you'll find the right one.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

. Was just curious as to what you think of brands, which are the best, what to stay away from.

Best advice ever when shopping for a used boat... Cover up the brand name, it means nothing. You are thinking in used car terms, that doesn't apply to boats. Everybody uses the same powertrains, and what matters is the condition and maintenance of the boat, nothing else.

Think of it this way, a 10 year old bayliner that has been stored inside every night, lower hours, and impeccable maintenance records. Boat #2 is a 3 year old crownline, left outside without a tarp the entire time, maybe had the oil changed once, seats torn, lots of minor scrapes on the hull, etc...

TheAviator

Cadet

Best advice ever when shopping for a used boat... Cover up the brand name, it means nothing. You are thinking in used car terms, that doesn't apply to boats. Everybody uses the same powertrains, and what matters is the condition and maintenance of the boat, nothing else.

Think of it this way, a 10 year old bayliner that has been stored inside every night, lower hours, and impeccable maintenance records. Boat #2 is a 3 year old crownline, left outside without a tarp the entire time, maybe had the oil changed once, seats torn, lots of minor scrapes on the hull, etc...

Yes thank you, I've been getting this same advice from others. Makes sense. I don't think I've even seen a boat that doesn't have a Merc motor or Volvo. They are almost all fiberglass, so as you say, condition is everything.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I think it is good to ask your questions, and have answers given here on this message board, rather than behind the scenes in a PM.
Lot's of good advice can be had here when you keep it public. Brand bashing is not an issue. Mod's will take care of that Ask away !

TheAviator

Cadet

I think it is good to ask your questions, and have answers given here on this message board, rather than behind the scenes in a PM.
Lot's of good advice can be had here when you keep it public. Brand bashing is not an issue. Mod's will take care of that Ask away !

He actually gave me some great info, and as he put it it was more his informed opinion than fact. I could see his point, he ranked certain brands in a lower tier and some may take offense if they owned that particular brand. As he said and others though, care and maintenance is most important with any boat, not so much brand.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

I'm sure it WAS good info. Good Luck.

Last edited: