busted valve stem, riding mower

salty87

Commander
one of the valve stems on my riding mower busted so that the shrader valve has nothing to seat into. the tip of the stem cracked and my pump finished it off.

stupid cutting the grass in January...i know it's Feb now but i'm chalking this up to global warming. lol i've already had to cut the grass 300% more times this year than last.

back to my question...how do i replace a stem on one of these tires? it's a rear. pry it off the rim a little and get my wife to stick her little hand in there? oh honey...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: busted valve stem, riding mower

back to my question...how do i replace a stem on one of these tires? it's a rear. pry it off the rim a little and get my wife to stick her little hand in there? oh honey...

Ayuh,.... If it's tubeless,... Ya....

Before ya run off to buy a new 1,...
Measure the diameter of the hole,... they ain't all the same....
'n,... I buy the 1s that are Metal, all but the sealing ring....
Brass, chrome, whatever,... so longs it's Metal..... ;)

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

one of the valve stems on my riding mower busted so that the shrader valve has nothing to seat into. the tip of the stem cracked and my pump finished it off.

stupid cutting the grass in January...i know it's Feb now but i'm chalking this up to global warming. lol i've already had to cut the grass 300% more times this year than last.

Unless your wife has "gorilla mitts", you might be disappointed....:eek::D

Assuming it is a tubeless tire, if it is like any one I have ever done, you need to break the bead seal and get the bead out of the way. The valves come out from the inside, and are replaced from inside-out. I have a tool that seats the valve stem....it threads onto the valve-cap thread and you lever the whole thing until it seats.

NYBo

Admiral

Push down on the tire to separate the tire bead from the rim. A metal valve stem is overkill, but you should never have a problem with it. Just be sure it's not so long that it sticks out beyond the rim.

cribber

Lieutenant

Also remember to soap the valve to help ease it through the wheel if you go with a rubber replacement.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

As each one of mine broke, I just put a tube in the tire.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

two screw drivers and 5 minutes later to break the seal and change the stem. However in many cases, I use ether and a match to re-seat the tire on the rim. dont try that at home kids.

dolluper

Captain

A rope around the tire in middle and wood to tighten the rope up ...twisting the wood around will tighten the piece of rope so you can then refill the tire and seat the bead....or easier throw a tube in

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd go with a tube. It's not to hard to break down and remount lawnmower tires, but it can be a pain.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Do you have calcium in the rear tires for weight?
That would change things alittle.
As for the stem, use the same one that they use for LT tires as was mentioned, they will take more abuse than the rubber ones.

salty87

Commander

Push down on the tire to separate the tire bead from the rim.

i'm gonna have to mcgyver something better. bead didn't budge. i even tried riding it around a little bit. always works on the front tires even when i don't want it to.

i don't have a trailer either. will a tire shop work on these little tires?

NYBo

Admiral

If standing/stomping on the tire doesn't break it loose, put a 2x6 on the tire so that the end is at the edge of the rim, and slowly drive your car onto the 2x6. That should do it!

dolluper

Captain

Old style jacks{car bumper} work great to break the bead....impliament jack.. better known as farm jacks

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tire shops will work on them. I took my 5 inch snow blower tire in for a new valve stem. No problem. Didn't even charge me.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I just jack my car up and lower it on top of the bead I want to break.

salty87

Commander

all done.

don't know if sitting for a few days helped any but a pry bar made quick work of the bead. the stem was easy to reach. i made a hundred pieces of the old one. the new stem slide right into place with a little windex. i rolled the tire over a piece of 4x4 post to help re-seat the bead. worked great with a little wrestling.

knee deep grass no more.

thanks, everyone!