burrito closes school

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
CLOVIS, N.M. - A call about a possible weapon at a middle school prompted police to put armed officers on rooftops, close nearby streets and lock down the school. All over a giant burrito. <br /><br />Someone called authorities Thursday after seeing a boy carrying something long and wrapped into Marshall Junior High.<br /><br />The drama ended two hours later when the suspicious item was identified as a 30-inch burrito filled with steak, guacamole, lettuce, salsa and jalapenos and wrapped inside tin foil and a white T-shirt.<br /><br />"I didn't know whether to laugh or cry," school Principal Diana Russell said.<br /><br />State police, Clovis police and the Curry County Sheriff's Department arrived at the school shortly after 8:30 a.m. They searched the premises and determined there was no immediate danger.<br /><br />In the meantime, more than 30 parents, alerted by a radio report, descended on the school. Visibly shaken, they gathered around in a semi-circle, straining their necks, awaiting news.<br /><br />"There needs to be security before the kids walk through the door," said Heather Black, whose son attends the school.<br /><br />After the lockdown was lifted but before the burrito was identified as the culprit, parents pulled 75 students out of school, Russell said.<br /><br />Russell said the mystery was solved after she brought everyone in the school together in the auditorium to explain what was going on.<br /><br />"The kid was sitting there as I'm describing this (report of a student with a suspicious package) and he's thinking, 'Oh, my gosh, they're talking about my burrito.'"<br /><br />Afterward, eighth-grader Michael Morrissey approached her.<br /><br />"He said, 'I think I'm the person they saw,'" Russell said.<br /><br />The burrito was part of Morrissey's extra-credit assignment to create commercial advertising for a product.<br /><br />"We had to make up a product and it could have been anything. I made up a restaurant that specialized in oddly large burritos," Morrissey said.<br /><br />After students heard the description of what police were looking for, he and his friends began to make the connection. He then took the burrito to the office.<br /><br />"The police saw it and everyone just started laughing. It was a laughter of relief," Morrissey said.<br /><br />"Oh, and I have a new nickname now. It's Burrito Boy."

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: burrito closes school

OMG its the "Attack of the Killer Burrito". :p

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Thank goodness they did not see the giant Chihuahua that was to accompany the kid! :D

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yep, it's another sign the end is near! :cool:

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

I saw this on one of the gun boards earlier today. One point made was what if a LEO had been convinced this was a gun? Potentially the LEO may have shot the kid. <br /><br />A point to be made is that, yes safety above all, but the current state of sensational overreaction could have killed this student.<br /><br />However, me being the skeptic I am,...ya think this "30 inch hi-capacity burrito" was done up as it was by the kid intentionally to get this reaction?<br /><br />On a lighter note could this 30 incher be considered some sort of potential biological gas weapon? :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wonder where the line is between being alert and being partanoid.<br /><br />There must be an overlap. I did a cartoon years ago for a friend that had the caption, "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean we aren't out to get you.".<br /><br />I have seen the same line a lot since then, but I don't think I ever saw it before then.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

I do believe I have seen that cartoon JB! May be yours? or on similar, but the message was the same!<br /><br />Cool! ;) :D

Twidget

Commander

"We had to make up a product and it could have been anything. I made up a restaurant that specialized in oddly large burritos," Morrissey said.<br />
He should get an A+ for the project. He got quite a response to his idea. :)

Realgun

Commander

Dang I bought 6 of those dangerous Breakfast Burittos just today. :) People at work buy them every Friday! Now to convince the boss to send everyone home for carring a loaded Buritto !!! :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I once brought a rocker arm off my car that had broken. I put it in a ziplock bag so it wouldnt get anything greazy.<br /><br />I was showing it to my friends.<br /><br />Later the teacher called me out and asked me if I had something in my pockets. I showed him the part. He said OK.<br /><br />I guess he thought it was a bag of weed. :D <br /><br />Ken

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

originally posted by pjc<br /> I saw this on one of the gun boards earlier today. One point made was what if a LEO had been convinced this was a gun? Potentially the LEO may have shot the kid. <br /><br />
We had exactly this happen in Birmingham a few years ago, drunk man carrying a table leg was shot dead by armed police.

LadyFish

Admiral

If someone ate it and tooted would it become a Weapon of Mass Destruction?
17.gif

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

nope ladyfish.<br /> would be a weapon of Mess destruction :)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

all I know is that it would just plain old stink :eek: