Burned out points

msmorto

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi:<br />I have a Bayliner with a VOLVO AQ125 4 cyl engine.<br />The boat run very well for about 4 to 5 hours, and then it start to<br />miss, I though that I had a fuel problem but it was not the problem.<br />After replacing the points with new one, the same thing happen <br />It run very well for 4 or 5 hours and then the points burn again<br />ANY IDEAS ??<br />Thanks<br />Mario

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Burned out points

Too Much Voltage ??????<br /><br />Wrong Coil ?????<br /><br />Resistor Not resisting ??????

KaGee

Admiral

You should have approx. 9 volts on the positive side of the coil. Any more than that and you burn up the points. Resistor wire could have shorted allowing 12 volts plus. Or you could have a voltage regulation problem allowing too high voltage on the system.<br /><br />You'll need a volt/ohm meter to track it down. Don't rely on your voltage meter on the dash.<br />Good luck!

msmorto

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Guys<br />I think that I have the wrong coil, I will<br />replace it with the correct one next week, Hope this will solve the problem .<br />Thanks<br />Mario

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Pretty sure its the coil...mine just went bad too.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

any condensor with these points? replace it too!