bunk repairs

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice
This weekend's project is going to be recarpeting and painting the wooden bunks.<br /><br />Any suggestions on what brand/type of paint I should use on the bunks? <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />t

Bondo

Staff member
Re: bunk repairs

Rustolium for Paint,+ Monel(SSteel) for your Staples to hold the carpet...............

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice

What about glue for the carpet? Any suggestions?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would not bother with the glue. Stainless steel staples are good and I have used metal strips and small screws on the underside instead.<br /><br />If you want to waterproof/paint just use thompsons deck sealer. The wood is not seen due to all the carpet covering it....additionally it does not spend all that much time in the water. If you are concerned then use pressure treated wood for the bunks.<br /><br />Bob

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dido, pressure treated bunks and stainless steel staples. I have never painted or treated bunks and most brand new trailers and lifts don't come that way either.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Redid my bunk last year.First time went without glue.Had to remove carpet and use glue after a couple of months use. Maybe it was the carpet, but it was stetching so much I thought it would rip off. Have'nt noticed any problems since. ELYMERS SRAY ON GLUE, 3.99 a can.<br /><br /> Jim

bubbakat

Captain

Also to make those bunks slick go get you a large candle and a quart of actone and put the candle in the actone and let it melt it.<br />When it has melted just stir it up good and take an old paint brush and paint the carpet with your mix. The actone will dry up and the wax will blend in with the carpet and it will be there for two or three years.<br />Makes loading and unloading real easy.<br />BTW don't unhook the bow line on ramps that are steep because you will unload the boat before you want to.