Bunk length for a 14 foot jon boat?

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer
After reading many threads here and other places I have more less decided to convert my roller trailer to bunks.

My only questions for this thread is what is ideal length for the bunks for a 14' boat? Do you have a personal opinion of whether the boat bearing part should be wider than 1.5" carpeted ? Do you agree that rearward or forward extensions beyond a support point should not exceed 12"?

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Bunk length for a 14 foot jon boat?

Hi Colby. The general rule of thumb is that you want your bunks to extend completely to the stern (rear) of the boat, or even and inch or two beyond. That way the transom has plenty of support as you drive down the road. The bunks can extend as far forward as you like really, but I think you'll find that about half the length of the boat is usually enough as the front of the boat is generally supported by the bow stop on the trailer. Placing the bunks on their edge will help them to retain their rigidity and reducing bowing a bit. Although, for such a light boat, it won't make much of a difference if you lay them flat, or on edge. You can also add a flat piece of 2 x 6 to the tongue of the trailer to act as a running board to help make loading/unloading the boat easier when you're alone.