Bummer

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class
So when I was boating last weekend my bildge pump was kicking on every 15-30 minutes. I figured it was the garboard drain, but I snooped around and found this...
DSC_0365.jpg

Yep, its going to be expensive, on the bright side I will have all new bellows and a new gimbal bearing.

Chaparralboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bummer

Is that how your water is coming in? I have the same problem. Same hose..I tried to silicone fill and zip tie clamp it off..but still coming in. How do I fix this the right way?

91capri2050

Seaman Apprentice

Is that how your water is coming in? I have the same problem. Same hose..I tried to silicone fill and zip tie clamp it off..but still coming in. How do I fix this the right way?

you have to pull the outdrive and replace the bellow/boot

Chaparralboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How much would this cost? It's a slow but consistent leak right? I'm kinda mad. Should I do this at the end of the season or do it now? Like can it get worse and sink my boat. I upgraded my bilge pump from 320gph to 800gph just incase

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

A slow leak is only temporarily so.

Bilge pumps are for leaks that haven't occurred yet, not for ones you already have.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I may be wrong but that looks a lot more like the shift cable bellows than the drive shaft bellows. If so, you are probably lucky you caught it now.

Is that a Mercruiser?

Get all 3 (drive shaft, shift cable and exhaust) bellows changed now. Hopefully your u-joints and gimbal are still in good shape.

nlain

Commander

How much would this cost? It's a slow but consistent leak right? I'm kinda mad. Should I do this at the end of the season or do it now? Like can it get worse and sink my boat. I upgraded my bilge pump from 320gph to 800gph just incase

It will only get worse, yes it could sink the boat. Do not know cost.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its costing me 600, I am having all 3 bellows replaced and my gimbal done.

If you have 1 leaking bellow get all of them replaced, if not one of the larger ones will probably crack soon and you will take on a larger amount of water.

sltintexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its costing me 600, I am having all 3 bellows replaced and my gimbal done.

If you have 1 leaking bellow get all of them replaced, if not one of the larger ones will probably crack soon and you will take on a larger amount of water.

so is $600 the cost of some one else doing it? or just the parts and you are doing the labor yourself?

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

so is $600 the cost of some one else doing it? or just the parts and you are doing the labor yourself?

200 parts, 400 labor

Its quite labor intensive and its not something I want to screw up. I figured its more worthwhile to pay 400 to have it done right and not have to struggle with the labor involved.

91capri2050

Seaman Apprentice

just had mine done all 3 bellows, gimbal bearing, lower shift cable, new output shaft seal on the lower unit, and gear oil. all for $700 with a 1 year warranty on the parts since they are mercury parts and were installed by a dealer.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

200 parts, 400 labor

Its quite labor intensive and its not something I want to screw up. I figured its more worthwhile to pay 400 to have it done right and not have to struggle with the labor involved.

Your getting a new lower shift cable too right ? If thats a MerCruiser sterndrive the shift cable "it gone".

I did all my bellows and gimbal bearing last year for about $175 with the hinge pin tool and shift cable. All aftermarket junk.