Bull head fishin' is Bullhead Fisin'

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Talk about fisin', a sinker, hook and worm 5 - 10 min - fish. Kids loved it wife didn't care the fire was warm and I had beer. trick is getting the hook out in front of the kids without freakin them out. - though it was wild catching fish at night - good fun - any hints about easy out hooks, I don't think the kids will buy the "there arn't any nerve endings here" story for long, a buddy suggested his needle nose plyer / spin move, but that will freak out young kids who are a bit brighter than a night light.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bull head fishin' is Bullhead Fisin'

molsenice:<br />You could use a barbless hook. What I use is forceps. Your making good family memories and when your children get older they will remember how much fun they had. I know my two girls do. I took them all the time when they were small. Then they grew up and have other interest in life. Both of them will still go but not often these days.<br />good luck

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my pop just mentioned the same thing to me - funny, never having been the "adult" - never really considered the hook removal aspect before - thanks for the reply

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Barbless hooks are pretty much the way to go, just be attentive so that they don't get the time to swallow the hook. That's why we were bought up using handlines when bullhead fishing.<br /><br />You might think about how you'll handle it when you catch an eel, if you go bullhead fishing in the evening its bound to happen.

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

An EEL!!! - I can handel that with a shotgun easily, Stand back and hold the rod still.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Buy a bunch o hooks. Just clip since are only using the fillets of a bullhead(unless you are cleaning and frying the whole thing) which I don't thing many do, and then clean, cool down(like in a cooler with ice for at least two hours) then cook and enjoy.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I tell kids it's just like clipping your nails, don't see any blood, right? then hope we don't gill-hook one.

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been told that the only time you eat the Bullheads around hear is early in the season - april/May - otherwise their flavor is off - don't know have alway thrown them back - so far so good