Bulb won't get stiff on '85 150 XR2

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm having an fuel bulb issue with my BlackMax 1985 150 XR2. No mater what I do, I can't get the bulb to pump up stiff. I replaced the bulb with a new Mercury bulb, it's facing the correct way. I hold it up, down, sideways, and no joy, won't pump up, BUT, the motor will start if I choke it and it runs like a striped ***** ape after I get it on plane. Although, sometimes it acts like it is going to fall on it's face when trying to get on plane, but then will accelerate to 3200 rpms and hold there until it gets on plane then runs fast up to 62mph and 5500 rpms. It idles a little rough, but not bad.

Also, sometimes after getting in the boat after unloading and parking the trailer, motor off, I'll start and it will barely run and usually die. If I go to fast idle, it will start then run fine after I rev it up a couple of times, until I get ready to take off, then the the thing I described earlier. Here is the kicker, sometimes it runs ok, but I still can't get the bulb to pump up stiff. Help?

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bulb won't get stiff on '85 150 XR2

If it won't pump stiff, you are sucking air somewhere. Either the connector at the tank, the fuel line, or connector at the motor.

milehighboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

or it could be pouring out somewhere, make sure you remove the cowling and look for gas coming from the carbs or any fuel line connections.

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's not leaking any fuel. I've checked every fitting and can't seem to find any thing loose that would be leaking air. I will say, if I keep pumping and pumping and pumping somewhere around 25 or 50 times, I can feel and hear gas in the bulb, but it won't get stiff. Also, after I run one day and go out the next day, I can feel/hear gas in the bulb, but if I squeeze it, it's like I pump all the gas out of it then no pressure.

crazymac-680

Cadet

My first guess is sticking floats. Your float is sticking and the fuel is continueing to flow into your carbs and straight into the cylinder. So she is getting to much fuel and running pants slow but running great at high revs because it is getting the correct fuel and air mix.
But since you are saying that you have some kind of gas in the bulb? Disconnect the hose and plug it. Give it a sqeeze Till hard and leave it overnight. Check in the morning and if it is still hard then you can rule out that part of the system. Check your fuel hoses are tight. If they are then I would put money on sticking floats.
Enjoy
Dan

ohio river rat in KY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have got the same problem runs like a champ one time and falls on it face, just in forward gear, dont want to take off most of the time, new fuel line and bulb and tank.and plugs. had a shop check on the carbs and so on also they said was fine so told me the more i run it it will get better that was 24gallons of gas a go, i dont know??????:confused: 83 mariner 80hp .....please if you find your problem let me know it is almost identical to mine i bet they are.

Dukedog

Captain

Check and/or rebuild tha mech. pump...............

"the more i run it it will get better" :eek::eek:

j_martin

Admiral

It ain't rocket science:
1. Possibly you aren't feeling fuel, but air in the bulb, and the suction line, pickup tube, filter, etc has an air leak.

2. Possibly you're feeling fuel and it's going somewhere in the engine.
a. Fuel pump kit is about 20 bucks and an hour if you're new at it. Ten minutes if you've done it once.
b. If you look down the bore of the carbs, you'll see gas spilling if it's a needle valve stuck.

3. Possibly you got a brand new defective bulb, and the check valves in it are bad.

That's about all it could be. Shouldn't take long to get to the bottom of it.

hope it helps
john