Building Materials

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Some may view this as a troll, but it's not. If anybody needs(really NEEDS) any building materials, you'd better get them. When the gulf coast does start to rebuild, some materials, such as plywood, may be rare, or at least, expensive.

dolluper

Captain
Re: Building Materials

Prices are excepted to go up here within two weeks.and we are way north of the mess. Gas,food,a whole list of items will rise in cost the media is warning

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Didnt PW2 say his plywood prices just went up 20%?<br /><br />I dont think any food prices will go up, why should they?<br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They are transported in trucks that burn gas or oil, KIZ.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Everything will increase. It will cost the power companies more to generate power (raw fuel cost). Our power companies here have fuel adjustment to the bill. it's about the same as the actual bill!

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

another brilliant thread, we have some smarties here hoarding gasoline. This is the first time I have ever seen lines at gas stations, folks are bringing their lawnmowers and waterjugs to fill with gas. The world has gone bonkers. They ought to outlaw national news. Chief ;)

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have a point chief. I think some of this is being brought on by nothing but panic. Just like when it snows here in North Carolina.

PW2

Commander

There will be lots of plywood and lumber- it will just cost more.<br /><br />A year or so ago, the wholesale price of a sheet of 1/2 4 ply CDX , in truckload quantities, was about $17 a sheet Friday, it was a little over $10. It's been at that level for several months. Tuesday afternoon, it was a little more than $12.<br /><br />It costs our mill about $10.50 to make the stuff. (probably more now, but we have hedged nat gas prices for now)<br /><br />I know the owner of the business would probably be happy to price it at rate that covers our costs, plus a little for profit. Unfortunately, it is an uncaring market that does not give a whit what it costs us to produce.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I found a sale at Menards for my sheeting, 1/2" OSB. Got it the other day for $9.77. <br />Checked on shingles today. Every hardware store told me to buy now, they already had orders to increase prices by $2 a bundle before tomorow. By Tuesday they are supposed to go up at least $4 a bundle. Also, even though I am 45 miles from the plant that makes Tamko shingles after Friday there will be a waiting list maybe up to a month on order. <br />Oh yeah, homeowners insurance will go up again too.