Building a hardtop, anyone got pics?

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys,
Ive just recently moved to the rain capital of BC however the fishing is absolutely outstanding and I'd like to spend lots of time on the salt catching salmon and halibut but the bimini's gotta go. Over the winter I want to build an aluminum hardtop for my islander 221 and am seeking pics or info from those who have been down this road before. Inital thoughts are a 6061 1" square tube frame following the existing windshield arrangement / bimini top lines with .060 5052 sheeting riveted on wet. I'd like some windows as well and would like to know what you've used or suggest especially seal types to hold them in place in the aluminum structure and where I might get the seal material.

34guatx.jpg

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Building a hardtop, anyone got pics?

I worked on a pontoon boat once, had an aluminum top that folded down and forward (though I'm sure yours would be fixed) maybe you could find some of the type of aluminum used, it was thin and had a pattern to it that i'm sure stiffened it a bit. the tubing that held it was 1" square alum.

BWR1953

Admiral

You might consider a mobile home supply yard for aluminum framed windows. I got these for a few bucks apiece for my workshop (never installed).

The windows come in all shapes and sizes, jalousie, sliding and regular ol' double-hung, plus non-opening types. The nice thing about installing them is that you just cut (or build) a hole to match the internal dimensions, add some standard weather stripping and you're set.

Best of luck!

shopwindows1.jpg

shopwindows2.jpg

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

restoring "slowly" a 69 islander 21 and was thinking about that also.
roof line being about a foot or so above the winshield top and about 16" past the shield.
being fully enclosed this would make a great out of the way space for rod, gear, microwave on and on.
then close to the front of the hardtop in the center mount a small genset with a cover looking like a a/c cover on a camper.
for side windows was thinking contractor truck topper were the side windows are hinged at the top and lift open.
same at the back, lifts open with gas cyl's.
the top on the inside think i would spray in undercoating then stick up foil faced foam then cover.
with out dampening you wouldn't be able to stand a hard rain.
the boats are so light adding a few pounds and with a share to the front i think would be good.
i've become hell on wheels with a pop rivets and aluminum stock.
picked up off craigslist a new aluminum 12x12 pergola for $450.
my porch/patio is 10x15, a little surgery and the thing looks great.
what i'm getting at here is all of the pieces were bolted "round head hex" together using pop nuts.
now that's the way to go, the round heads look very nice and you can take it apart for what ever if you want.
providing i gain any more info will be happy to share.

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input guys, so far Ive managed to scrounge some truck canopy tinted glass slider windows and frames, Im going to be giving it some serious thought and start banging away most likely in February , am also considering installing a second underfloor fuel tank up front and making some prawn/crab trap storage racks in the cuddy as I dont plan to be overnighting in it. I snapped a pic of a fella's hardtop at work the other day and will be most likely following the idea with riveted rather than welded construction. Keep them idea's coming
20l1qg4.jpg

4h9vnp.jpg

BWR1953

Admiral

Just remembered that the mobile home places also have skylights available for just a few bucks each. That hardtop in the pic above is awesome and a small skylight or two would brighten it up just a bit.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

could fit one of them ugly plastic bubble skylights too.. or an automotive aftermarket sunroof

it is a very cool hardtop.. a little extreme for me though..​

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like the automotive sunroof idea , and your right it would brighten it up a bit as far as being extreme I hear you but you could spit to the alaskan pan handle from here, its pretty darn rainy and a canvas top just isnt gonna cut it. Even some of the glass boats are wearing aluminum hardtops and welded hulls are the norm. I'm contemplating removing the wood floors and putting checkerplate aluminum down ( with the nescessary supports) at least in the back of the boat thats exposed to the weather because the wood will rot eventually.

SCHRECK

Seaman

that hardtop is fantastic ive already printed pictures of it i am putting a hardtop on my 24 ft chieftain back about 8 ft from windshield and closing the back and that hardtop look just great i am also putting aluminum checker plate for floor Peter :)

Keelbar

Cadet

Hey folks, like the hardtop eh!!! I was surfing and saw the pics and went heh thats my boat!!! The top was designed by my father-in-law and then was bent, welded and bolted on. It can be taken off, but in the 18 years we have had it, it has never come off. It is great on a rainy day but also is nice on the hot sunny days to get out of the sun.
It is strong enough for two guys to stand on roof, so it can easily handle coolers, traps etc... it has even had a 125lb halibut hang off the center.
tight lines and sharp hooks

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Gnarly! seems we older fellows stay up later then the young folks. Finally getting some decent weather here in Mt Vernon. I bought a project boat for the river and small lakes And I do mean PROJECT. Lots of work on the exterior. Good shape but BUT UGLY. hope to have it painted by weeks en then turn it over and start on the interior. Thatr will be the fun part. Supose you are getting your share of the big fish this year. Calm Seas and the best to you Ed

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Ed, got lucky and picked up a 25lb chinook last weekend but still havent started on the hardtop although I have all of the metal bought and stacked in the carport. Good to see Derek on here and have the background on his kick a__ hardtop too.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Keelbar that is one nice rig, love that welded hardtop!

Elk if yours is going to be similar to that you seem to have a great model to work from. I've fished the great lakes with camper tops and hardtops on my dads rigs and there is no comparison at all.

Keeping dry and warm keeps you on the water fishing more:D