Build cable LAN without cabling

U_U

Cadet
For those who would like to use the computer on an in-house LAN, but do not want to or can't put in network cables, an option to use the standard powercables has come up. More suppliers may be around but one is:<br /><br /> http://www.corinex.com/web/docx.nsf/w/EE09DD1D0FB08334C1256DA300490C8F <br /><br />The manual is available from their site. Install seems extremely simple.<br /><br />Note, that this is not a wireless system.

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Build cable LAN without cabling

Not to be rude, but a wireless system would be a much better investment. It's quite a bit faster than that, and the parts are becoming dirt cheap.

U_U

Cadet

Agreed, generally. The two solutions are different, suitable for different uses.<br /><br />In some environments wireless cannot be used (electrical 'noise'), does not cover sufficiently (concrete, more walls/floors, 'Farraday's Cage') and/or security concern.<br /><br />Wireless tends to be disturbed by electric appliances (microwave ovens, mobile phones, radiocontrolled equipment like toys and other transmitting units).<br /><br />Add to this the network devices that do not have a wireless NIC og room for one (network printers etc.) You'd need a LAN-to-wireless addaptor for that to work.

rogerwa

Commander

If I am not mistaken if you have over 200 amp panel you would probably have to bridge across the panel so that the signal could reach the whole house. Half would be on one 100 amp main and the other would be on a different 100amp main. The signal would not cross. This is similar to the X10 wiring issues.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Data over powerlines has been tried many times. The FCC had a special section researching it. It's a bad idea. All the reasons listed for wireless applied to data over power lines plus more. With data over powerlines tne data tends to interfere with everything else connected to the power lines or in there vicinity. Noise is braodcast all over. There is no way to secure the network. The impedance of the wiring and the varying loads make it impossible to work efficiently. <br /><br />This device is exactly what P.T. Barnum was talking about when he said,"There is a sucker born every minute."

Paul Moir

Admiral

You're right rogerwa, it only works on one phase of the panel. This is not limited to 200A or over panels, but for all 2 phase panels. That is to say, 99.99% of residential installations (since in North America you need that for 240v).<br /><br />I bet one of those X-10 bridge devices would work on it though!<br /><br />Seems like a good idea for a simple gaming/internet home network though. I notice a few German reviews. Given the way they build (not much lumber there) it would be pretty useful to them.<br /><br />Good to see you back UU. Can't the board's administrators do something for your old account?

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

X-10 works at a much lower frequency (data rate) than the device in question. The x-10 bridge probably wouldn't work very well, if at all, for this application.

Paul Moir

Admiral

The X-10 bridge is a capacitor, so it should work for any frequency above X10's modulation frequency (120 KHz).<br /><br />This is just a thought though - I don't know if that's appropriate for UU's device there. I still think it's a better idea then trying to send microwaves through a concrete-corrugated steel floor.