Buddy in boat (no license), can he use my net . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Expidia

Commander
to help me land a big fish that I'm reeling in if he is not fishing? He would just be helping me net a fish.
I'm in NY. But if there was a rule against this, I'm sure it would be the same for any state requiring a fresh water fishing license!

So even though he does not hold a rod, does he still need a fishing license, if he is just helping me net a fish?

Anyone know the answer? A google search didn't pull up my answer.

I'm going fishing tomorrow in a lake with big fish and I didn't want him to get fined if he's holding my net in the water as I hopefully bring a lunker along side the boat (positive thinking :D).

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Buddy in boat (no license), can he use my net . . .

Probably, I wouldn't chance it.

You'll have more satisfaction hooking playing and landing the fish by yourself anyway. Then you can tell all of your friends how your buddy just stood there with his hands in his pockets while you fought and landed this fish.

Expidia

Commander

Thx. I was afraid that was going to be the answer.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Yes he needs a license if in any way he assists you catch a fish. This includes handling the net, grabbing the fish, moving the minow bucket so you don't trip over it, clearing other rods, and or manuvering the boat so you can land it.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

"CASTING and/or RETRIEVING, whether by rod, reel and line, or by handline, for oneself or for others, requires a current license." That is quoted from the Pennsylvania Fishing Regulations regarding who is required to carry a license. I can't believe NY would be much different

1980Galaxy

Petty Officer 1st Class

"CASTING and/or RETRIEVING, whether by rod, reel and line, or by handline, for oneself or for others, requires a current license." That is quoted from the Pennsylvania Fishing Regulations regarding who is required to carry a license. I can't believe NY would be much different

i verified, it came right out of the book (PA). you could also ask a game officer if you see one, he could tell you for sure. most likely its illegal in NY tho.

MRS

Commander

Take your buddy if you get a lunker hope you do just net it put rod in holder and have friend take photo so you can post here for us too see. He can catch it on film and not need a license.

admlofton

Cadet

In MS.... If there is fishing gear(any kind) in the boat, all passengers must have a liscense. Reguardless if they're fishing or not.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

In MS.... If there is fishing gear(any kind) in the boat, all passengers must have a liscense. Reguardless if they're fishing or not.

Ohio is the same way.

Wow. And I thought not being able to party fish in WI was nuts. Here, you can shoot a deer for someone else, but you can't catch a fish for someone to add to their bag limit.

It would suck to have to unload all your fishing gear everytime you just wanted to go for a cruz with someone who doesn't have a license....

admlofton

Cadet

True story....Friend of mine had both hands burned therefore they were all gauzed up!! Got fishing without license ticket for being in boat with more than one fishing pole... couldn't use either hand! CRAZY!!

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

Talk your buddy into buying a licence. He's in the boat he might as well fish.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Only thing in OR that I can find is:

497.075 General license, tag and permit requirements; exemptions. (1) Except as provided in subsections (2), (3) and (4) of this section, no person shall angle for, take, hunt or trap, or assist another in angling for, taking, hunting or trapping, any wildlife unless the person has in possession such valid licenses, tags and permits therefor as the State Fish and Wildlife Commission issues.

So as long as they dont touch any fishing stuff and sit there, they should be ok... (here at leaset). So it obviously differs from state to state, so check your states law.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

So this fisherman & his non-fishing wife are on a vacation. The fellow has to run into town to get some bait so the wife decides to take the boat out by herself, catch up on some reading and get some sun while he?s away. A Game warden pulls along side of her and spots all the fishing gear on the boat. The conversation went something like this:

Officer: Ma?m, can I see your fishing license please?
Wife: I don?t have one. I don?t fish.
Officer: Sorry but I?m going to have to give you a ticket for fishing without a license.
Wife: Why? I?m not fishing.
Officer: But you have all the equipment with you.
Wife: In that case I?m going to have to report you for attempted rape.
Officer: What? Why?
Wife: You have all the equipment.

In N.Y., the officer blushes, agrees to no ticket and quickly leaves the scene. In Ms, the officer is looking at 30 yrs to life.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

fritzmerde

Seaman Apprentice

Here in MD. you'll be busted. We've had huge problems with poaching (mainly Rock), tons of fish (literally) illegally caught-it's so bad that rewards for the poachers are posted all over. The number of boats out fishing has been drastically reduced-so the odds are good that you'll have a visitor. It's no biggie, unless you're up to no good, 10 minutes & they're on their way. You can get your boat a fishing license-that way folks you bring along don't need one, but you foot the bill. Ask DNR or the game commission always better safe than sorry.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

In CA, your buddy using the landing net w/no license would be a no-no. But just riding along? Or steering the boat? No problem.

Finally, something where California law is not stupider than in other parts of the country!

sidechoke67

Petty Officer 1st Class

I fish a fair amount in upstate NY waters, and have only seen the DEC checking licenses twice in the last 5 years - and I have never been checked. It is up to your friend if he wants to risk it, but I think the odds of him getting viewed by the DEC at the moment he is handling a net are pretty small...

Old & In the way

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry to hijack your thread.... BUT

If you hook a really big Halibut and you shoot it in the head - do you need a hunting license ? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.