Browning Rods

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone have any opinions on Browning fishing rods? My one and only setup for the past...oh...15 years has been a Browning Medalion(i think) rod and Shimano Syncopate reel. <br /><br />I am starting to feel like I have gotten my moneys worth out of this setup :D , not to mention it would be nice to have my own spare. (can only use 2 at a time in NY)I end up using poles that fishing partners leave in the boat for extras when I'm by myself on the water.<br /><br />I really am partial to the Browning rod and would like to get a new one from them, but for all I know someone else is making them now, they're no good anymore, etc....or all of the above. Anyone have any input? Thanks :)

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Browning Rods

The last one i bought was 8 years ago. Had no problems with it.

one more cast

Captain

Heres a little story about me. I bought a zebco model 777 spinning combo with my life savings at about age 12 or so. I used that setup until I was in my 20's. One spring I went to the garage to get out my trusty 777 and it was gone. I believe I left it on the river bank while taking the kids on a fishing trip the fall before.So I bought a shimano spinning outfit and used that for quit a while. The day before one fishing season while cleaning and lubing the shimano I broke the bail. I went to the only open store in the area and bought the best rod and reel they had. A $14.99 zebco spinning combo.The first day out it broke and I had a nail holding the handle on. I used that combo all season and had my best fishing year ever. The next year I went out and bought a $100 browning rig and haven't caught many fish since. I really can't see much difference between cheap and expensive rods. Maybe I'm missing something??? If so can someone please explain it to me.

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In my experience, Browning rods are simply okay. They make a very wide range from quite cheap to higher end. I would personally stay away from the cheap ones, because there are better cheap rods out there (Berkley Lightning Rod for example--or even an Ugly Stick). If you are looking at spending some cash, I still would not go with a high end Browning. Again for the money, there are better rods. St. Croix are resonably priced (a bit expensive for some) and my personal favorite. <br /><br />Then again, as OMC pointed out, most times the equipment doesn't much matter. I spent the weekend walleye fishing with two friends who were both using St. Croix/Shimano Stradic rigs ($250 all told) and I was using a Pinacle on a Berkley Lightning Rod. I easily outfished both of them combined. Most times luck is all one really needs.

LubeDude

Admiral

I was the first one in my Bass Club, (25+ years ago), to own a Browning Boron rod. Roughly $100.00. A lot of money back then. I lost the rod overboard twice, the first time I had a good freind that dove, and I had him find it for me, the next time, Well, Its still there! It was a great, sensitive rod while I had it.

one more cast

Captain

What makes a good rod a GOOD rod? I like my Browning but I just don't see that much differance between it and say my cheapy shimano.

walleyehed

Admiral

I heard quite a few years ago that Fenwick(sp?) made all of Browning's rods for them....true??..I don't know.

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm just partial to the Browning cause I'm always partial to what's familiar. And after 15 years....I'm pretty familiar with what I've got. It's been good to me and I figure if a new one will last like this one has, it'll be worth it. I'll have to take a look at the St Croix....I might get skeered off by the price tags though!<br /><br />OMC, Here's what makes up the price difference (in the Brownings anyway) from what I'm looking at....the most expensive one is built upon a 85 million MODULUS BORON matrix blank. :confused: The cheapest one (fifty beans) is built upon only a 35 million psi GRAPHITE matrix blank..double :confused: <br /><br />I'll just have to go to Bass Pro or Gander Mountain and investigate this. I think it's a good enough excuse to go.... :D <br /><br />Have a great weekend/New Year everyone and thanks for the responses.