Broken U-joint Retainer Nut

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an alpha 1 that I've got to reseal the upper on. The only problem is some of the tabs on the retainer nut broke as I was trying to loosen it. I've never had one of these break before and didn't think they would so easily but this one kinda just fell apart. I'll try and upload picks. My question is if anyone knows of any tricks that could help me get it out that would be great. The only thing I can think up is cutting it with a dremel in 4 spots and hammering and picking it out.

Attachments

• u-joint (2).jpg
    u-joint (2).jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 2
  • ujnut (5).jpg
    ujnut (5).jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 2

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Broken U-joint Retainer Nut

I have an alpha 1 that I've got to reseal the upper on. The only problem is some of the tabs on the retainer nut broke as I was trying to loosen it. I've never had one of these break before and didn't think they would so easily but this one kinda just fell apart. I'll try and upload picks. My question is if anyone knows of any tricks that could help me get it out that would be great. The only thing I can think up is cutting it with a dremel in 4 spots and hammering and picking it out.

Your retainer nut wrench will not hold the rest enough to try?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

That's really bad! Like Alldodge mentions - are you using the actual tool, or trying to tap it with a hammer and chisel?

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer

That looks like a hammer and punch damage! If you dont have the retainer nut wrench i would purchase one and save your self some trouble. Besides you will need it to get the proper torque(200 ftlbs) when reinstalling it.

alldodge

Staff member

I picked up a wrench last week for $16 (ebay) and it was new. Now I will say the tool is not as hard as it should be. The first time I torqued the nut, My torque wrench dimpled the 1/2 inch drive hole. Contacted the vendor and asked did the tool miss the hardening process? The short answer is the tool is a stamped cheap copy, and he gave me $10 back for my trouble. I welded a socket on the other side of the drive hole and it works fine. The nut end of it has enough teeth on it to spread out the load and shows no signs of wear.

bugzy_1

Seaman Apprentice

I was able to get a broken one off with a hammer and a blunt tool (like a drift). Use some liquid wrench to help loosen it. Tap it close to the base of the tab. Lots of little tap, not too hard. Should come loose. Good luck

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Using the correct tool always works for me when I have to work on a drive.

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I definitely have the right tool and have done a number of these before I've just never seen one break before and didn't think they could break. There are not enough teeth left for the tool to grab correctly, it just slips off now. I'll probably drill holes in the edge in four spots to weaken it and tap it out. That's the only think can think of.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Mail it to me, i'll get it out. =)

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mail it to me, i'll get it out. =)

Ha, would hate to see the shipping on that! I'll get it eventually, was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this problem and knew a trick. I'll drill holes at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock and try to tap out what's there with a hammer and punch.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer

Let use Know how it works Please

alldodge

Staff member

Ha, would hate to see the shipping on that! I'll get it eventually, was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this problem and knew a trick. I'll drill holes at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock and try to tap out what's there with a hammer and punch.

What if you take a piece of hard wood (oak, hickory, etc) and cut it to fit tight into the area between the shaft and your tool. Maybe get something to wedge it in tight. It could keep your tool from coming out. May need some heat on it, never know someone may have used Loctite.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Press your inner ujoint out and get the shaft out of your way. Or just cut the yoke with a sawzall. If your resealling the upper your going to need a new one anyways. From there you can either use a coal chisel and hit the nut from the top down, and try and peel it into itself. It will help if you have a proper fixture to hold the drive steady in. If you muck the threads on the upper your hosed.

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll be going away and won't be back till Wednesday. I'll start messing with it then and let you guys know how I make out. Thanks again.

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update:
This came apart ridiculously easy. I didn't have to drill or anything. I think I got lucky and the retainer nut was cracked all the way through in one part so I hammered and chiseled one side and it caved in on itself. The threads were fine as I ran the extra retainer nut that I have through it, this extra one has groves to clean threads as well. So I think its good, now just back to the normal repairs. I didn't see anything strange like thread lock on the threads so I really don't know what would have caused this.