Broken TV

chadchurchill

Seaman
Brought a little 13" Magnavox tv to the Patriots game yesterday and hooked it up to an inverter for power. At first it worked and we could watch tv just fine. I turned it off and then tried turning it back on a few minutes later and it wouldn't turn on. Then last night when I got home I tried plugging it in to a household outlet and it wouldn't turn on. No sounds, no lights, nothing.<br /><br />Any ideas of what might have gone wrong and troubleshooting advice?<br /><br />thanks,<br /><br />TripeC

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Broken TV

Most T.V.s have a fuse inside of them,an electrical spike from the inverter probably blew it.Radio Shack has replacements.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Pretty rudamentary troubleshooting but when somthing like that happens I fiure it's broke so I cannot hurt anything. I usally pull the housing and check fuses and also look at the circut boards for burned spots, A lot of times electronics can be fixed with a little soder (sp). I fya don't find the trouble and it's worth the money then Put it back together and take it to a shop.

Paul Moir

Admiral

If the glass fuse has gone black, it blew for a good reason and the next one's going to do the same. If it's still clear, it likely blew because it was bored and decided to become troublesome. If that's the case, simply replace the fuse and change your viewing habits.<br /><br />If it's gone all black, check out the switch-mode power supply main switching transistor (the big one). A power line glitch can roast one in a millisecond. If it doesn't exist, check out the HOT (Horizontal output transistor, the other big one). For details, have a look at this site:<br /> TV Repair FAQ.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

If you go looking around in there be careful. If this is a tv with a picture tube stay away from the tube and the high voltage transformer. Touch that and you are in for a suprise. They carry a low amp charge with voltages around 20000volts. The rest is pretty harmless. If it has a thick wire dont touch it.