Broken reed valve

salted nuts

Cadet
I have a 1998 Mercury 125 that lost power at about 4800 rpm. The #2 cylinder was low on compression but all cylinders had spark. The #2 carburator was spitting fuel and when I looked down the carburator throat I noticed that one of the reed valve petals was missing. Tell me that all I have to replace is the reed valve plate and that I didn't trash the #2 cylinder. I can change the reed valve plate myself but what other damage could have happened and where might I look to find the reed valve petal.

jdkzrt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Broken reed valve

Sorry S.N. <br />- you need to replace the reed plate (replace them all with fiberglass reeds)<br />- #2 cyl. is bad news. Pull head for a quick look.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Youre probably good to go -- if you have Boyesen reeds. If you have stock steel reeds and it went through the cylinder.....well youll just have to look and see.<br /><br />Keep us posted and good luck!!

jdkzrt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Reed missing, and low compression on same cylinder. <br />"Probably good to go" (even with fiberglass reeds)?????

salted nuts

Cadet

I have the stock steel reeds. I pulled the cylinder cover and all I get access to is the water cooling jacket, the cylinder head is part of the block casting. Should I pull the exhaust manifold cover? Will this get me a better picture of the potential damage?

jdkzrt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry S.N. (I'm not too familiar with your engine, and I don't have a manual handy), but you need to get a look at the top of the piston and the cyl. walls. You should be able to see the walls through the exh. manifold cover (through the ports).

walleyehed

Admiral

If you are going to put reeds in, Go Boyesen-Don't mess with stock stainless-they are a pain in the butt when they break and the results of the Boyesen reeds will make that merc purrrrrr!<br /> As for the cyl....I hope damage is minimal.