broken outdrive

mrboat

Cadet
well its all bad. I got into some shallow water last weekend, and bottomed out the boat. When I got out of the water, i checked my outdrive and the bottom fin was broken clean off!! my prop was damaged too, but i have a spare so no biggie. What i am worried about is that piece on the outdrive. How should I go about this? I am kind of lost!

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: broken outdrive

If it is just the skeg and there is no other case damage, just hit it with some rustoleum and go on about your business.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hi there,

New skegs are available from Merc... I don't have the part number with me just now... If you know a good ali welder he should be able to do the job for you without any problems.....

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

Any Prop Shop will cut, fit,+ weld on a new piece for you,...

It might be necessary to disassemble the lower unit,..
It'll be a good time to have it spec'ed,+ resealed...

Btw,...
I'd be checking the magnetic plug,+ the oil for metal,... Just to see if there might be more damage....

burning_up

Cadet

Check for a bent propeller shaft before you have the new skeg welded on. I learned that one the hard way.

mrboat

Cadet

that skegshield looks pretty decent... i will have to call my marina and get a quote for a new skeg to get welded on. I will update when I figure somethin out. I just hope my shaft ain't bent up. :(

JustJason

Vice Admiral

getting new skegs welded on is a pretty standard thing.

like burningup mentioned, look at the very end of the propshaft, if it's spinning out of round (which happens often in boats that strike something), your going to want to have that fixed or kiss the drive goodbye.
If you need a propshaft and a skeg, you may want to look at getting a complete lower from SEI. you'll have to do the math, but I wouldn't be surprised if SEI is cheaper.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Everyone else had valid points. If the shaft, etc. checks out, yes you can have a new skeg welded on. Besides finding someone who can weld aluminum, make sure they understand that there are rubber seals in the unit. Use caution when doing the welding ( tack it up, cool it down, weld one side, cool it down, then do the other side, cool it down).