broken ignition key 90 hp mercury

jay_61074

Seaman Apprentice
my ignition key broke off in the ignition while trying to turn it. i don't have a spare but i got both pieces is there anything i can do!!!

Laddies

Banned
Re: broken ignition key 90 hp mercury

There is a number on the head of the key and any good dealer has a set of keys in parts inventory.

mthieme

Captain

A new ignition switch with key is less that $20.

emckelvy

Commander

Lots easier to go to the dlr and get a new key! They might even have it in stock.

An alternative would be to go to a local locksmith and have him cut a new key from the busted parts. If you find a good one he shouldn't have much trouble with that.

Or he might have the codes necessary to make a new key from scratch.

Don't forget to get an extra key!!!

G'luck........ed

jay_61074

Seaman Apprentice

thanks ill check with the local dealer tomorrow i took apart the control box and it looked like the ignition was ina tight spot...o well one less weekend on the river but there is still a few left...

j_martin

Admiral

There's only about a dozen different keys. Any locksmith would be able to number punch a key if you have the head of the old one, bout 20 bucks while you wait.

Merc dealer probably has one in stock, coupla bucks.

hope it helps
John

jay_61074

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for all the help...the dealer had to order one it took two days and cost 6 bucks for 2 keys...the key broke on a saturday the day i wanterd to take the boat out and the locksmith was closed...what a weekend.

j_martin

Admiral

I must be a redneck or something. I'd have put the busted key in the slot, jammed a pocket screwdriver in beside it, started it up, and gone boating.

But then, not everybody has a pocket screwdriver.

John