Broken Bolts update

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks to all that responded to my cry for help a while back. I had one bolt broken off in the Thermo housing and 5 broken off in the head. I had to drill and tap them - the bolts would not come out - I broke a tap off in the first one I tried to get out of teh head. Now, does anyone know how to get a tap out when you can not get to it from the opposite direction??? :confused:

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Broken Bolts update

P.S.<br /><br /> That was a 90 HP FORCE (1991)

PeeWee

Seaman Apprentice

use small drill bit and drill slowly around e/z out. you mite have to go up one size with heli coil for new bolt.

petryshyn

Commander

its not fun.....is it broken off flush, just below or just above?

wippb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the tap is not too far in and if you can get at it is try to take a small punch and a hammer, tap lightly on the flutes of the tap in the direction of removal. This sometimes works but if not there is a neat little device called a "tap extractor". It has splines that fit down the flutes of the tap and fits into your tap handle. You should be able to pick one up at your automotive parts supplier (NAPA) or a machine tool suppier.<br />If you can't find a tap extractor readily, try this old trick : Slide two drill bits down along the shaft of the broken tap, between the flutes, on opposite sides of the broken tap. The drill bit(ordinary 'drills') should slide through; you're not trying to drill out anything, just any two drill bits which will fit between the tap center shaft and the ID of the tapped hole. Using a screwdriver or other suitable pry-tool, try to back the broken tap out by 'twisting' the two drill bits as if they were a pin wrench. You can also resort to drilling two pieces of flat stock to act as 'handles' for the two inserted twist drills, one above and one below the broken tap.<br />Good luck<br />Just my $0.02 worth

cole1340

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Robert L,<br />Get a Dremel tool and three (3) diamond tipped bits (large size) Take your time and go slow. Remove a little metal at a time. Be carefull around aluminum and make sure you wear safety glasses. It took two bits to remove a broken tap from my motorcycle but I almost needed a third.

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks PeeWee, Schematic, Wipper and Cole.<br />I meant to say I broke an easy out off while trying to extract the bolt. It fills the hole ( it was a spiral easy out ). It broke off below the surface of the hole and I can not get anything to bite into the surface so that I can back it out. :confused:

Grizzly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello Robert,<br /> While you've got your Dremmel tool out use a narrow cutting/grinding bit like a saw blade to cut slots in the broken head bolts. have a couple of the bits on hand. Then take an IMPACT DRIVER to break them loose. This might also remove the bolt with the broken tap. Hope this helps. -G.

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello Grizzly,<br /> I am not sure what you mean. I understand the saw blade in the dremmel but what would cutting the heads on the broken head bolts and using an impact wrench help??<br />I might be able to cut a slot in the easy out and then use a screw driver to get the easy out - out. Thanks for that idea.

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry Grizzly,<br /> I just realized what you meant. I believe that you meant cut the slot in the broken end of the bolt that was left in the engine and using a screw driver type impact wrench that might bring them out. When I read impact wrench (being a wrench head) I thought you meant an air impact wrench. Now that i am with you that is probably a very good idea (but I hope I never have to use it now that I have them all drilled and tapped except the one with the easy out in it).<br />Thanks again.

Grizzly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No problem, Robert. An impact DRIVER is a manual tool. You have a bit in the slot while sriking the other end with a heavy shop hammer. Forces the bit deeper while backing out the broken stud.Auto supply less than $15. Crude but very effective. Willtake sockets-poor man's impact wrench. ;) -G.

Rex

Chief Petty Officer

GET A SET OF LEFT HAND DRILL AND YOU MAY GET <br />LUCKY IF NOT THEN USE THE E-Z-OUT TO GET IT.<br />REX A. HUB

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

My only experience with broken bolts in alluminum or cast blocks is forget it. If the bolt is corroded bad enought to twist the bolt off, and then to break a extractor bit, you can forget it. It is basically welded in. I took an exhaust housing to a machine shop to remove a bolt that I had broken off an extractor bit in, They wouldn't touch it. The extractor bit is simply too hard to drill out. <br /><br />Just my opinion.<br /><br />Arlan

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for all of your ideas.<br /> A friend came over and we wound up having to grind a groove in the standoff that was blocking the hole to allow room to get a cutoff nail in the hole. Then he took a wonder bar and was able to pop the easy out out. We were extremely lucky because I could not find anything that would put a dent in the extractor. The hole is now drilled and tapped and ready for reassembly as soon as I can find the parts (head gasket - thermostat and thermostat peripherals)<br />Again thanks to all.

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Grizzly,<br /> I did not have anything small enough to get into the extractor to grind a groove in it. A very good idea though.

Grizzly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No substitute for determination. Way to go! -G.

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class

Robert L, Here is a routine I use for getting studs & bolts out in one piece. <br /><br />First I use 3/8" drive ratchet, and NO cheater bars or WD-40. Use P.B. Blaster, available at most parts houses. I get mine at Kragens.<br /><br />Start out with a hand held butane torch. Now you're usually dealing with steel [head], and aluminum [Powerhead]. Heat very slowly then spray around the bolt head with P.B. Blaster. Tap on head bolt with a small hammer. Do this 3 or 4 times.<br /><br />Most times this will free up the head bolts. If not start over and don't be stingy with the spray. I too, twisted three head bolts off along with one in the Themo Housing. A local machine shop charged me 48 bucks, $12.00 a hole.<br /><br />No I'm not so smart, I got every bit of this from IBOLTS. Since I learned this I have torn down two powerheads for friends and haven't twisted off anything.<br /><br />One last comment, every tap needs a certain sized hole. Drill your hole to the correct diameter and use lots of lubricant, go slow and you will seldom twist off a tap.<br /><br />Our days here in Ca. are getting longer so remember Spring's almost here. Good Luck, Robert and boat safely. Hal :D

rlouns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thenks Grizzly and Harrison,<br /><br /> Hal it was an easy out not the tap that broke - I miss stated that in my original post. What is P. B. Blaster?

G DANE

Commander

Hi Gents<br /><br />I have tried a solution for broken bolts that beats everything i have seen. It only requires that you have access to TIG welding.<br /><br />Weld a piece of and old bolt to the broken. The flame will not seek the aluminium, but only the iron or stainless. Being heated to redwarm, the stuck bolt expands and presses the corrosion away that holds. Cooling down the bolt gets loose and you can unscrew it normally by the welded piece - its amazing no harm to the threads- Try a shop that has TIG and save your powerhead.<br /><br />Just my experience.