Broke tab off retainer nut replacing ujoints

Rotorpilot1969

Seaman Apprentice
Yep I did it and knew better but was at friends house and didn't have the proper setting to do this job. So 1999 alpha one gen 2. I knocked a pretty large tab off the retainer nut when removing ujoints. Would this cause a steering knock hard right and hard left? I actually think the knock is from gimbal bearing not fully seated cause I didn't align engine or have a gimbal driver available. Boat runs perfectly and smooth no noises unless you hard turn all the way either direction. I have removed the drive and ujoints are fine. What's the worse outcome not fixing the retainer tab? I understand it may not seal as well but other than that please tell me your thought. . When I took drive off today the bellows was nice and dry. All help appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Broke tab off retainer nut replacing ujoints

Yep I did it and knew better but was at friends house and didn't have the proper setting to do this job. So 1999 alpha one gen 2. I knocked a pretty large tab off the retainer nut when removing ujoints. Would this cause a steering knock hard right and hard left? I actually think the knock is from gimbal bearing not fully seated cause I didn't align engine or have a gimbal driver available. Boat runs perfectly and smooth no noises unless you hard turn all the way either direction. I have removed the drive and ujoints are fine. What's the worse outcome not fixing the retainer tab? I understand it may not seal as well but other than that please tell me your thought. . When I took drive off today the bellows was nice and dry. All help appreciated.

I think your in the area of solving your own problem. Don't see how knocking the tab off the nut would be an issue so long as it didn't make it clear through the nut (crack clear though the nut). If the gimbal is not fully seated it would not be in correct location for pivoting. Alignment issues can only create more uncertainties.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer

First thing is get the alingment tool and check and align gimble bearing its a start in the write direction !!

airshot

Rear Admiral

I think most people on here will agree with me when I say" it takes less time to fix it right than it will to constantly keep repairing a botched job". If something fails because you did not take the time to do it correctly it can get really expensive quickly. My more than 60 yrs has shown me that many times over..

alldodge

Staff member

Come on guys, everyone makes mistakes, me more then others, no real reason to rub noses in it. Give the guy a break

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

A gimbal bearing not fully seated will create U joint knocking when hard over

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yep, a gimbal brg that is not fully seated will cause a knock when turned full over, I just went thru this same problem, drove me nuts .
It doesnt take much, mine was only about 1/8 from being seated, had a terrible knock. Busted tab on the retainer is not a problem ,I have had 2 busted off for years, doesnt seem to hurt anything.

Rotorpilot1969

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, a gimbal brg that is not fully seated will cause a knock when turned full over, I just went thru this same problem, drove me nuts .
It doesnt take much, mine was only about 1/8 from being seated, had a terrible knock. Busted tab on the retainer is not a problem ,I have had 2 busted off for years, doesnt seem to hurt anything.

Thanks for positive input, I didn't see the tab being a big deal but thought maybe that's what was catching the yoke causing the pop sound. I've done a few bravo set ups and a penta but never a gen 2 alpha 1. So I borrowed a gimbal driver and alignment tool and it seemed ok but whacked the bearing again to insure it's seated. It looked all the way in to begin with but maybe a tad crooked. I ran my finger in behind the bearing and it's even all around and about 1/8 deep from flush of the front of the housing. I should have marked or paid better attention before removing especially being my first alpha drive. The engine alignment seemed extremely close and not enough to cause this knock. My alignment test was some what inconclusive with tight on top then ok then maybe tight on bottom. My tool,wasn't the best and had to sand it a little to get to seat in the coupler from years of abuse. (Old old tool ). Once tool was smooth and grease applied I was able to slide in and out with ease. All I can do now is put it back together and try again. If It still knocks I'm thinking the new ujoints are bad because I had to replace a needle bearing on one cap because it got smashed when installing. What are the chances the gimbal bearing is bad from either installing or defective? Not sure what brand we bought. I never struck the inner bearing only the outer race. Thanks and appreciate all the input

Rotorpilot1969

Seaman Apprentice

All problems solved... Gimbal bearing must not have seated. After whacking it with proper tool it's is quite as a mouse. Boat runs great and all up to date. I suggest not attempting this job without all the proper tools. Thanks for the help

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer

Great to hear you got her fixed!