Broke my gas tank, where can I find a new pick up tube?

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 6 gallon portable tank made bt Attwood. It's an older tank but still in good shape. This weekend I was removing the fuel line from the tank and the connection broke off. It's the plastic piece that's part of the pick up tube that broke off.

Anyone know where I can get a new pick up tube? I'd hate to throw this tank away just because of a broken fitting.

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Broke my gas tank, where can I find a new pick up tube?

you mean the plastic part inside the tank itself that extends down to the bottom to pick up gas off the bottom of the container?

if so, grab whats left of it and head to lowes. look in the plumbing section. either get some of the hard opaque plastic line by the foot. or find the diameter you need in rigid plumbing line and buy a piece for like $9 and cut what you need and save the rest in case you goof it up again. as hard as this stuff is, I dont see gasoline affecting it very much.

if its that plastic elbow looking thing, just get it in brass from lowes or true value...I'm gonna lean to true value only because their brass fitting selection is massively larger and even if you need to piece it together from a few parts, it'll still work. just remember to use teflon tape on the connections.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

oops don't use teflon tape on gas fittings; the gas will melt it and it gets in the line. Pipe dope.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe 2 part epoxy cement to glue it back together back together? I use epoxy for lots of stuff and it holds up pretty good! Good Luck!

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

if its that plastic elbow looking thing, just get it in brass from lowes or true value...I'm gonna lean to true value only because their brass fitting selection is massively larger and even if you need to piece it together from a few parts, it'll still work. just remember to use teflon tape on the connections.

That's the part that broke but mine does not have the elbow. Mine has a plastic nut with a threaded hole in the middle that the brass fuel fitting screws into. It broke off where it goes through the tank, leaving the pick up in place.

Thank you for the the suggestion for going to the hardware store to look for parts. I will see what I can find.

Thanks again :)

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Post pics of the broken bit. I have an old 6 gal molded plastic tank that leaks at a seam, if the pickup assembly's the same you can have it.

mgiuliani

Recruit

What about the screen/filter at the end of the pickup tube? Any idea where to found one?