Broke lower portion of Outdrive

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice
I managed to find the bottom of Lake Erie this year and cracked off the lower fin of the outdrive. Not sure what that part is called but have been told that it did what it was designed to do, protect the prop, even though I ruined my prop. My question is, can I simply pull off the entire drive, and take it in to have a new part somehow welded on? I need to change the oil in the drive, so I will change the oil, should I drain prior to taking in. What are my options?<br /><br />Thanks for any advise!

JasonB

Lieutenant
Re: Broke lower portion of Outdrive

I have the same problem on my 30 year old Johnson. You can take it to a welder (most prop shops can take care of it). cost here is about $125. I have run mine without a skeg for 4 years. Not sure if it has any major handling effects, but the boat isn't that fast anyway.

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

It can be welded, but it must be done very carefully if the break is close to the gear housing. The heat can warp the housing.

Ralph 123

Captain

Best bet is to buy your self a Skeggard - it allows you to repair a broken skeg in about 5 minutes at home without having to remove the drive or any disassembly at all. It is a prefect fit replacement of the original skeg but is made out of stainless steel. All you need is about 2" of your original skeg left in order to make the reapir.<br /><br />I have them on my twin Alpha 1s because the offer added protection for the skeg even if it is undamaged and the look sweet. It took less than 10 minutes to do both and they are a perfect fit.<br /><br />You can check out places like eBay (just search for Skeg) and overtons The cost around $99<br /><br />
Original.jpg

Walt T

Lieutenant

if it doesnt seem to affect performance, you can forget about it. Otherwise just have a new skeg welded on. It is not necessary to remove the drive. I've driven boats with skegs torn completly off and I couldnt tell any performance difference. It does act as a rudder at low speeds I guess. It is supposed to protect the prop but I've seen plenty of screwed up props that hit rocks and the skeg was untouched. It's a cheap fix anyway.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> most racing units have modified skegs, like diesel says I see many here that have been knocked completly off. the coast gaurd has an arcane rule that boats must have rudders. that is why you see the tiny useless rudders on jet drives. it qualifies them. its kinda like the arcane 1930's base HP ratings. it was a good thought 70 years ago but has no bearing on anything today.<br /> a good shop can weld it while its on the boat. no need to remove it. should run between 85 and 150 depending on the prevailing labor rates in your area.<br />good luck and keep posting

Badger99

Seaman Apprentice

They are completely right. You don't need the skeg at all. Just try not to hit bottom again or this time the prop will hit.

navigator336

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd either do nothing or use the skeg guard (it's cheaper than welding). Many years ago I had a skeg welded on a 115 HP Mercury O.B. by one of the very few independent mechanics authorized to do warranty repairs on Mercruisers at the time (good mechanic, but a good welder??). He took great pains to heat sink the gear casing so as to not heat damage the seals when welding. I had about 3" of skeg remaining prior to the work. The result looked great, lasted until the drive touched a little sand, when it immediately snapped off again. I'm not positive that the heat of welding affected the seals, but I had water in the gear oil the next time I changed it. It had always been clean before.

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice

Guys, Thanks for the great advise. I think that I am going to go with the Skep Guard. It is cheaper than welding, and No risk of warping the casing. I was quoted ranges from 150 to 300 bills to have it welded on. They were going to repain the drive though. Thanks again for the replies - my decision is now a no brainer!!

RC Hammer

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the great Advise Ralph! Good Common Sense advice that will actually save me a few bucks!<br /><br />Happy Holidays!!